43

"Shit, I'm so sorry." I apologised immediately, and Jay gave a sigh, confused.

"Sorry for what? Why the fuck aren't you talking to me Sarang???" Jay gave a groan out of exasperation. He was probably gonna start pulling chunks of hair out from his scalp at this rate.

"Listen, I told Hyojin. It was only because I felt bad for her, you hated her, she loves you and-" I finally tried to explain to him how this ended up happening.

"You told Hyojin." Jay's voice was dark, and he stared at me intently, furious wouldn't even cut it - the way he was looking at me.

Oh yep, that's me done living.

I've lived a great life, and these past years have been great, but unfortunately, all great things come to an end eventually.

"Listen Jay, I really didn't intend for this to hap-" I continued a foolish attempt to save my own ass, but it was not working at all.

"Are you fucking joking with me right now? You told Hyojin - a girl who I reiterated, five fucking million times, that I despise her with my whole soul, body, mind - that we weren't really dating?" Jay gave a short chuckle, followed with a devilish smile.

Yeah, I was so dead.

"All because you felt bad? You feel fucking bad? Well, you've just fucked up my whole life too." Jay began with his harsh words, and I just stared at him as he furiously vented out his anger on me.

"You think this is how I wanted it to end? Jesus Jay, I was doing this solely for the sake of you, so you could get that dumbass clinic and live your fucking millionaire life even richer." I retort, there was no way I was going to let him just scold at me like this.

Jay put his hand on his forehead, looking around. I could see the fumes of rage radiating off his body, he turned to look at me again, in pure disbelief.

"It's hard to believe you're a goddamn surgeon when you have thinking skills like that - I cannot even fathom that it was you. Out of everyone Sarang, it was you." His words began to start to have an effect on me, every single harsh letter that came out of his mouth just piercing a deeper dagger through my heart.

"I wanted to not believe that it was you, I wished that it was someone who overheard us arguing, or talking about it - but no. It was goddamn you." I knew he was disappointed, and I knew he was mad, but he was so unfeeling to that girl, that I just felt so bad.

"Fuck you Jay. Can you stop thinking about yourself for a fucking while? Nothing seems to have changed since childhood, you've always been the same self-centred motherfucker as you always have been." I began arguing back, just saying anything that came out of my mouth at this rate, "Have you ever considered being remotely nice to Hyojin? Do you even know what it feels to like someone who refuses to even want to be near you?"

"I empathise with the girl, I feel for her. I hate seeing people feel hurt over people who can't even acknowledge that their own actions have consequences." I continued with my stream of angry words, "I did what I had to, I gave her hope, because I thought that after this fucking contract, you'd see that she wasn't all that bad. But clearly, all you wanted out of this, was that fucking clinic and nothing else."

I glared at him, not gazing away from his eyes as he did too. Though, as I spoke, his eyes lightly softened - ever so slightly - but I did notice it.

"And you know what's even funnier? That I thought that you weren't even so bad, I genuinely thought that you were a pretty decent person. But now seeing how you're so vexed over not getting that clinic - which, let me tell you, you'll probably get it regardless if you have a girlfriend or not - I realise that you're still Jay, the same stuck-up, entitled kid, who would hate me to the ends of the Earth for getting a grade higher." I finished my little abrupt rant, and to be honest, even my own words took me aback.

Damn, how much pent up anger did I have over the past years with this guy?

He just stared at me in silence, speechless. I gave a sigh, shaking my head lightly.

"Sarang.. I wasn't doing this just for the clini-" Jay tried to explain himself, just like I tried earlier, but using his own technique, I cut him off.

"You know what, save it. I can see your intentions. Well, lucky for you, you won't need to deal with me and my 'thinking skills' anymore. This contract is over, so, please leave me alone." I replied swiftly, it hurt me too, I'll probably only see him during the wedding in Italy, and that was it, after, we were going to go back to sworn enemy strangers, just like we were in high school.

I said my stuff, and I walked off, he didn't call my name, or grab my wrist like I expected to. Instead, he just let me walk off, in my own fume of annoyance.