36

Soohyun eventually left, leaving just me and Jay alone. He gave me a chuckle as I rolled my eyes at him.

"What the hell are you doing here? Is your clinic falling apart?" I retort, walking out of the Operating Room and walking around the corridors.

A small laugh emit from his lips as he looked over at me, nurses passing by staring over at Jay, whispering to each other with giggles like they were back in high school.

"No, it's just boring without you." He spoke, and I dart my head to look at him, eyes widened at his words as he casually looked at me - nonchalant in his gaze as if his words didn't just spiral me into a convulsion of fluster.

"Woah, relax, it's a contract.. you said yourself.." I wasn't sure if he was joking with my ass to see if I'd give in, either way, he was going to make me lose my mind in a second.

Jay glanced over at me, not saying anything for a little bit, a faint, uncertain smile across his lips. He looked down briefly for a second before giving a sigh and looking back up.

".. Oh yeah, I know." For some reason, his words sounded fake, damn, what the hell was with this guy today?

"So, where's Hyojin??" I inquired, genuinely curious because he left her there.

"She's here, you know, her father got into an accident." Jay reminded me that I actually had to check up on him, just to ensure everything was okay.

I widened my eyes, placing my hand over my mouth and checking which room he was situated in. Jay looked at me, confused but following me.

"Why are you running??" Jay asked, intrigued.

"Shit, I forgot to check up on him. Jesus, you're making me go off track." I gave a slightly exasperated sigh, storming through corridors and towards the room he was in.

Jay let out a chuckle, pleased with himself for stalling me and making me focus only on him.

"Oh he's not gonna be happy." Jay told me something I already knew, my hand on the handle of the room.

I looked over at him, giving a sigh, and then looking down.

"Can't please everyone." I looked up at him, glancing in his sparkling eyes. He had a look of admiration plastered all over his face, my heart paced faster at his softened expression.

I immediately turned around, opening the door and heading in. Hyojin was sat beside her father, eyes puffy, cheeks red and swollen.

Jay crept in behind me, and as Hyojin turned to look at me, she stood up immediately, running to Jay and hugging him tightly.

My body froze in a state of paralysis. I watched as he pat her back uncomfortably, but with no choice, he did so. She sniffled in his embrace, her arms around his waist.

An unsettling feeling hit my heart remorselessly. Watching her have affection from Jay somewhat made me feel like utter shit.

Nonetheless, I turned back around, trying to ignore the mumbles of consoling Jay was giving Hyojin, god, did the two of them really need to come here to act all lovey dovey?

Mr Son opened his eyes hazily, staring up at me as I checked his cannulas and all the monitor readings. I ignored his staring at me, just doing my job with an emotionless expression written on my face.

I felt agitated and uncomfortable. I hated what I was doing right now, and I hated whatever was going on behind me.

"Hyojin.." He gently whispered out, Hyojin ran up to him embracing him lightly while he was sat on his bed.

 I ignored this, continuing to check stats and vitals.

"Oh father!!! I thought we lost you - I was so scared!!" She cried out, colour returning back to her face as she saw her father alive and well.

I could tell he wanted to say something to me, but just hadn't gained the courage to. What? Was he going to give me the apology I deserve?

Probably not - rich people have too much pride to do such thing.

"Some general checkup questions." I stared at him, unamused, my voice was monotone, maybe with even a hint of coldness. It even seemed to take Jay aback how annoyed I sounded.

"How do you feel on a scale of one to ten, one being deathbed, ten being like new." I asked him bluntly, and he just stared at me.

"Around a seven." He responded, and I scribbled it down.

After a short questionnaire, I had one last thing to say to him.

"From a surgeon's viewpoint, I advise you stay here for while. I'm not saying this because I know you hate me, but you flatlined during surgery - and I barely managed to save you. For the sake of your own family and health, I advise you reside here for a little while til we think you're safe." I told him, my voice not changing tone at all.

He stared at me, a little guilt across his face. I was about to leave, and Jay could clearly sense my annoyance and bitterness, he held my arm, preventing me from leaving.