21

"Indeed." I politely spoke, in a waaay less harsher tone than usual. My voice was even sweeter and on a lighter octave.

"Oh you are so beautiful, you have a beautiful face and a beautiful soul. Jay is so lucky to have you." She held my hands in thankfulness.

But all I could think about is the last sentence she said. My lips curved into a wide smile, it was one of conceitedness, one that Jay absolutely was hating right now, he hated this entire thing, and his face spoke volumes on that.

"Mother-" Jay tried to speak.

"I cannot believe he managed to get a girl like you, please sit, you are officially a member of our family regardless if you're with him or not." She grinned, guiding me towards a seat.

Jay pressed his lips into a thin line, sitting on the seat beside me.

There was another family here too, and another woman around the same age as me. I suppose this was the girl that Jay was talking about earlier.

Jay's father suddenly came into the room, his eyes immediately darting to mine. His cheeks raised higher as his lips did too, wow, did everybody already love me here or what?

"Lee Sarang! To whom do I owe the pleasure!" He grinned as I stood up, giving him a slight bow. I sat back down as Jay's father sat the head of the table.

"It is so nice to see you again, I cannot thank you enough." He smiled brightly, I guess you could say I've gained the approval of his parents.

The other family just watched, observing all the compliments I was gaining from the parents of Jay.

"This is the Son family, Mrs Son, Mr Son, and Son Hyojin." His bubbly tone gradually decreased into one of casualty as he introduced the other family.

The daughter, Hyojin, just stared at me, even when I flashed her a smile, she just looked away.

Okay then.

The butlers placed the dishes down, and at first, the start of the meal was off to a good start, there was nothing bad going on, no suspicions or anything, we just seemed like a ordinary couple at an ordinary dinner with family and others.

"So.. Sarang, correct?" Mr Son cleared his throat as I looked at him, everybody was looking at him, wondering what he wanted.

I glanced over at Jay's father, he had his jaw clenched, as if he wasn't going to like whatever he was going to say next. He held his utensils in his hands, not eating and waiting for him to say his words.

"Yes, indeed."

"Sarang, lovely name, what is it that you do..? Modelling? Makeup?" He began listing some careers, that seemed quite stereotypical, but regardless, I didn't bring it up.

"I'm a general surgeon." I gave him a light smile as Mrs Son began coughing, she pat her chest, drinking some water.

The family seemed to be taken aback by that, not sure why, but I guess my impact is pretty heavy.

"A surgeon? Wow, that's interesting.. I wouldn't of expected that from a girl like you." He chuckled, and I wasn't sure what he meant by that, but I didn't even dare comment on it.

I wasn't gonna let this family ruin this. Jay tapped me on the leg under the table, I turned my head to look at him, and his eyes were easily readable to what he wanted to say.

'Don't mind them, just stay with the act.'

"Yes, I get that alot." I gave a light chuckle, the tension on the table was quite high.

"How did you manage to meet Jay? I mean, it's very amazing how two surgeons just come together, is it not?" He raised a brow, and I just stared at him sharply, the corner of my lips curving upwards slightly into a small smirk.

Was he trying to say our dating was fake? I mean, he wasn't wrong, but was I going to let him uncover that? Absolutely not.

"Hyun-bin, that's enough." Jay's father tried to control the situation.

"It's okay sir." I reassured Jay's father with a faint smile, turning my head back to face Mr Son, "I knew Jay since my high school days, we never got along, we were young and fighting to be the top student, so of course, rivalry was inevitable." I cleared my throat, starting, Jay looked at me, panicked as if I was going to fuck it all up.

"But within days and days, he began placing drinks on my desk during homeroom, or when I was studying late in the library, he'd come and bring me some snacks to help me. On the odd occasion, we'd even help each other study content we both didn't understand too well." I continued, and Jay seemed to finally ease, his parents had such irresistible smiles on their faces, "You must know how it is, spending time with someone so much, that you don't hate them anymore, and then one thing led to another, and we began dating."

He seemed convinced, very irritated, but convinced.

"That is so beautiful, I can't believe you knew each other for years, Jay, how come you never told us about her?" Jay's mother smiled.

And that's how you win your fake-boyfriend's parents over.