XXI

You scratched your arm nervously as you waited. You kept re-reading the text Gracie had sent, your heart slightly shattering.

You were snatched out of reality when you heard a car pull up in front of you.

The car looked brand new, it was a black Range Rover. The window rolled down, revealing Claire, who greeted you with a big smile.

"Hey, hop in!" She said.

You opened the car door and got into the shotgun seat. Claire's eyes followed you as you got seated.

"So... sorry for calling you. I just don't know what's going on and you're the only one I know that's here besides Gracie" you mumbled.

Claire put her hand on your shoulder.

"It's all good" she said, smiling. But there she was, staring you down again.

Why was she looking at you like that...

"So what happened with Gracie after I left" the girl asked, starting the engine.

"She got mad that I was texting you and took off before I could explain" you said sadly.

"Oh right" Claire said.

You pulled out your phone.

"I'm going to call her"

You clicked Gracie's contact and pressed call. Hoping she wasn't serious about the no messaging or calling.

The phone rang a few times before it was answered.

"Hello?" A voice said. But it was not Gracie's voice. It was a male voice talking down the phone.

Your heart sank. But you tried not to assume the worst.

"Oh uh... who is this?" You asked, your voice slightly shaking.

"This is Blake, Gracie's in the shower, I can leave a message for her if you want?"

You felt an invisible knife go through your heart. You couldn't stop your brain thinking of all these possible scenarios.

You couldn't take this right now.

"Oh it's fine I think I have the wrong number" you said, before hanging up.

You threw your phone into the back seat.

"Are you okay?" Claire asked, her voice sympathetic after noticing your mood change.

"I'm fine, just stop at this gas station I need some air" you said.

Claire pulled in and parked. You felt something snap in your heart but you didn't want to feel it.

You got out and ran into the gas station bathroom hastily. The blonde following close behind you.

You leaned over the sink and looked into the mirror trying to compose yourself.

"Y/n are you okay?" Claire asked as she opened the bathroom door.

"Yeah I'm okay... I think" You mumbled, wanting to change the topic.

You turned around, shocking yourself as you noticed how close Claire was.

"Y/n... I'm really sorry about New Year's Eve." The girl started, but her face growing closer to you told another story.

"It happens. But please don't do it again" you said lightly, stepping back slightly. "Especially when I'm intoxicated"

Claire scratched her neck awkwardly, taking the hint fast.

"Yeah..." she replied, stepping back.

"No Claire I mean it. You're my friend. But that night, you knew Gracie was there didn't you...?"