XXII

note: sorry guys if this chapter isn't as good as usual it's because someone in my family just died who I was close to and I'm handling the grief by writing. love you guys, thanks for reading.

You couldn't sleep. You didn't know why, you just couldn't.

Now thinking about it, you hadn't had an episode like this in forever. You could feel the anxiety spiking, and it was horrible.

Looking at Gracie who was peacefully sleeping next to you made you calm down a little. But the looming dread in your stomach was still present and you knew you wouldn't be able to sleep.

You got out of the bed quietly, put your shoes on and made your way to the motel door.

Yes... you were staying in a motel.

You and Gracie had spent the day exploring around Australia, seeing the coastline. With Claire muttering every few minutes in the back seat. Well, that was until she picked up a guy at a bar and then she finally shut up.

The sky was dark, you checked your phone and sighed.

3:00 AM

It was late, or early morning. But it didn't feel like that, it felt like mid-day. But that was probably due to the jet lag. You were wide awake.

"Fuck" you muttered, sitting down on the curb.

The anxiety in your stomach was getting worse. You could feel your chest tightening.

"Why can't you just leave me alone" you whispered. Trying to breathe slowly.

"That's kind of rude to say to someone when they got out of bed just to check on you" a voice mumbled.

Startled, you turned around. Meeting Gracie's soft brown eyes. She looked so sleepy, but she was focused on you. She was always focused on you.

The girl sat down next to you. She was in her sleeping clothes, with a coat wrapped around her.

"I'm fine Gracie, just needed some fresh air" you said, almost convincingly.

But the brunette always knew better.

"Y/n I'm marrying you, I think I know when you're lying. Talk" the girl said, staring at you.

You sighed, leaning into her chest.

"Stuff"

"Elaborate" the brunette mumbled softly, running her hands through your hair.

"My anxiety has got really bad again." You admitted, sighing again.

The girls eyes softened as she held you.

"Why do you think it's flared up?" She asked.

"The thought of losing you is probably part of it. But the other stuff is just random stuff in my head that wouldn't make any sense"

Gracie grabbed your hands and gave them a squeeze before kissing them.

"Listen. Nothing you say will ever not be important. You can always talk to me. I know I struggle too, but don't feel you have to keep things from me"

"I don't-"

"And it's completely normal to feel like you're going to lose me. After all the arguments and misunderstandings we've had so far this year it's scary. But I can promise you, I swear I will always fight for you. That's why I'm marrying you because I will fight for you and be there for you through all these thoughts" the girl said.

Without realising it, a tear rolled down your eye. You were eternally grateful for the girl sat next to you.

"I love you"

The girl laughed.

"You better, now come on it's cold out here let's try and get some sleep I have my show tomorrow"

Once you were back inside, Gracie pulled back the sheets and climbed in. You followed closely behind her.

You turned on your side, hearing a huff shortly after from behind you. You turned back, eyeing the girl who had her arms crossed.

"At least let me hold you" the girl mumbled.

You moved closer to her, laughing silently, before feeling her arms wrap around you.

Gracie was your home. Nothing would ever change that.

You hoped you'd never lose her to anything.