CHAPTER 1 - "Oh my Theon"

It's today! Robert Baratheon arrives in Winterfell! I will take this opportunity to remind you who he is. Because beyond being the king, which is already not bad, Robert is the one who led the rebellion against the Mad King. He killed Prince Rhaegar Targaryen because he raped and then killed Lyanna Stark, my aunt, the love of Robert's life. My father, Ned Stark, accompanied him in every battle, giving him blind trust.

                That is why he undertook a month-long trip to the North. Who other than his best friend can he ask to become his Hand? I hope, in any case, that my father's decision will not do too much damage.

               For this great event that is my first meeting with our sovereign, my mother to insist that I wear a dress in the colors of our two houses, Stark and Baratheon. I don't mind but admit that to fight, it's not very practical. Don't understand that I planned to fight! I have a philosophy of life to always be ready, no matter the situation.

               My brown hair waves and falls on my shoulders. I can't get my eyes out of the mirror. It is not a northern dress, warm and heavy, it is a capital dress, airy and light. I might as well kneel in front of the king and beg him to take me with him to King's Landing.

               To be honest, I always wanted to go to the capital. The climate is quite different, no need to wear fur when it is so hot. Although, even in Winterfell, it's been a long time since I had to wear animal skin to keep warm. The last winter was 10 years ago and was not harsh. Nevertheless, snow continues to fall in the north.

               Once ready, I join my brothers and sisters, already lined up, and place myself next to my father. Robb, my brother a year younger than me, gives me a strong look that I decide to ignore. I guess he wanted to be next to our father because he is the eldest son. That's what everybody from the south would expect as well. But I don't care, I'm the future Governor of the North.

               When the royal procession enters, all of Winterfell holds its breath. Not surprisingly, the king is a fat man who would do well to wash his hair. Surely a disappointment for my father. After him, enters his son, Prince Joffrey. He's only two years younger than me and I think he is attractive, but his haughty little Lannister air takes away his charm.

               Just after the queen's carriage, a knight in white armor arrives in the castle courtyard. It's Jaime Lannister. I had been praised for it, but I could never have imagined him to be so beautiful. I would almost be impressed.

                When I turn my eyes to see the reactions of my brothers and sisters, I notice that Sansa is staring at the prince. He is, personally, not what I will call a «man» but each his tastes, as they say.

               The king gets off his horse, he's even bigger when he is standing. I wonder where the hero he was ten years ago went. Maybe he ate him.

               In front of him, we bow down in a royal bow. I feel like an idiot with my knee down. I am not the type to lower my eyes before anyone and even less before a king whose value has been replaced by heaviness.

               After a little sign from Robert, we raise our heads. He and my father hug each other, happy to be together after so many years. I wonder what Ned must think.... He left a Robert strong, brave, and worthy. And he finds.... What's left of him.

               I should stop making fun of him, he's my king, after all. And beyond that, amazingly, he's polite. After greeting my mother and my younger brother, Rickon, he turns to me.

"You're Diana, is that right?"

"Yes, Majesty" I answer by lowering my head again.

"You look like her."