CHAPTER 40 - "We were at war."

It was not a happy marriage. Tyrion spent the rest of the evening drinking an endless number of glasses of wine – I stopped counting on the 5th – and only awoke from his slumber when Joffrey announced the bedtime ceremony. He made a scandal and ended up escorting Sansa himself to their room. After that, all the guests returned home without hesitation. Only Cersei and I stayed with Joffrey to reason with him. He was ready to execute his uncle immediately.

               My relationship with Joffrey took a completely different turn that night. He wasn't friendly, but our common reality, which means we're stuck together for the rest of our lives, struck us.

               I think that's what our relationship will look like. We will continue to get closer and farther apart as we go. He will do something pleasant, which will force me to relativize, and a few days later he will disappoint me again. An endless vicious circle.

               Except I'm not as resolute as I used to be. Now that Sansa is married, I have a world of possibilities. Perhaps I could go back to the Brotherhood Without Banners to complete my apprenticeship. Or maybe I'd go back to Winterfell to reclaim the stronghold of my house.

               I mean, I'll probably just stay in the capital. Here, people need me. Sansa, first of all. The girl was terrified throughout the marriage, but Tyrion is gifted with his words as well as his actions. She was reassured the next day. Unsurprisingly, they did not consummate their union, and most likely they'll never do.

               The young couple often appear together at court. They seem to have developed an affection for each other that will serve them well.

               For my part, I promised myself to get away from Tyrion, but this is impossible for me. Now that Sansa and I are getting closer, I spend whole days with the Lannister. It feels good, to be honest. I missed Tyrion's spirit.

♐︎

               Sitting on a wall, I watch Bronn approach with his weapon in his hand. Our training has resumed. Even though I learned to fight in Winterfell thanks to Jory, my friend teaches me new techniques that will be useful in this part of Westeros.

               In addition, spending time with Bronn is a real pleasure. It allows me to forget the problems of the court for a few hours. There is only us, the fine sand of the banks of the Blackwater and the sound of our swords.

"Majesty" salute me the mercenary when he gets close enough.

"Sir Bronn of the Blackwater" I exaggeratingly answer.

"You're making fun of me."

"I am."

               The knight throws me a sword that I catch on the fly before warning me. I take the position of the swordsmen of Braavos. They see their weapon as an extension of their arm. They make one with their blade, they are the blade.

"You are ridiculous."

"You shouldn't talk to your queen like that."

"Queens don't fight, as far as I know."

"If I were like all other women you'd be bored."

               Since Bronn doesn't find anything to complain about, he strikes my sword without warning. He doesn't like me to try these techniques. He thinks it is stupid because he does not want to give his enemy time to ask questions. He is a man of action. And come what may.

♐︎

               We train until we hear our stomachs growling. Only then do we put away our swords and go to the kitchens of the Red Keep. I make a detour through the royal gardens to find Tyrion.