CHAPTER 13 - "Still Nothing."

It's been weeks since I left my room. I would have preferred it to be a choice, that I refuse to live the worldly life after such a betrayal, that I am ashamed. Except I'm being held captive by Queen Cersei. She wants to make sure I can't run away from the city until I marry Joffrey tomorrow.

               After my father was put in prison, the Lannister guards set out to kill all the northerners present in the capital and keep me and my sisters in captivity.

               Varys often comes to see me to keep me informed of what is happening in the capital. He told me that Arya had vanished and that even his "little birds" – the underprivileged children he employs – had not found her. He also explained to me that the queen was keeping Sansa under her wing and that she planned to use her very soon to convince Robb to bend his knee.

               Cersei preferred to turn to Sansa rather than me because she knows that my sister is naive, impressionable, and madly in love with Joffrey. It's an easy prey. She has not come to see me once since our father was imprisoned, I imagine it is an order of the queen.

               On the contrary, our new king, Joffrey, likes to visit me every day. He's very gentle with me, he even became friends with Arrow when he had spent the last few months hating her. I wouldn't complain if he didn't spend his time talking about our upcoming wedding or my father's imminent death.

               Because even if a trial is set up, Ned is convicted. And all because of Petyr.... I can't believe I trusted him...

♐︎

               The door of my room opens, as since the beginning of my confinement, without being announced my guest. In a sigh, I rise from my bed and turn to... Petyr. He hasn't come to see me once in three weeks and now he's coming to me a day before my wedding? Does he think I'm weak-minded?

               After all, maybe I am. I have spent weeks obeying him.

"My love" he begins.

"Lady Diana" I cut him off. "You are no longer entitled to call me that."

"I understand your frustration, but you need to understand that..."

"That you betrayed me? That you betrayed my father, my house, and my mother, whom you claim to love since childhood?"

"I acted for the best. Ned Stark was going to start a war."

"Ned Stark was appointed Protector of the Realm by King Robert himself! In addition to breaking your oath, you betray your kingdom! You are..."

"Pathetic?"

"Pathetic."

               I refuse to face him, it's too painful. I put all my trust and hope in him, I gave myself body and soul, I lost myself. I cannot face this reality.

"You..." I stutter. "You promised to protect us..."

"I promised to protect your sisters and I did."

"Arya is missing and Sansa is the prisoner of Cersei! It's not what I call "protecting"."

               He approaches me, but I back down to the wall. If I let him touch me, it would be like saying he won.

"Tomorrow" I say. "Tomorrow I will be queen. And I can promise you that somehow you will regret what you did. In a few years, when you think you have succeeded, when you are at the height of your power, I will saw the feet of this throne on which you will stand and watch you fall."