CHAPTER 4 - "Wolves Among Vipers"

The day of departure has arrived. I'm going to leave my house and certainly never come back. To be honest, I'm terrified. Before today, I had only left Winterfell to visit some of our bannerets. In other words, I had never left. And now I find myself taking the plunge.

               For the first and last time since Bran fell from that tower, I'm going to visit him. To say "goodbye". I hope to see him again one day. Standing up, at best.

               I take a deep breath and push the door of the room. My mother, whom I had not seen since the accident, turns her redeyes towards me. Robb is right, she must hate me.

"You finally came" she says as I close the door.

"I have to say goodbye to Bran."

               I sit on his bed beside him. He looks so peaceful, like nothing happened and he was just sleeping.

"I promise we will meet again. You will come to King's Landing to celebrate my wedding and I will come back to the North... I can't wait for you to tell me all your exploits... King Robert said you would become a soldier and I still believe him..."

               On my left, I see my mother wriggling in her chair. These words reached her, perhaps she too believes that he will not wake up.

"I'm going to look after Father there, don't worry. Your mission, now that I'm leaving, is to look after Mother...and to listen to her..."

               I put a kiss on his forehead. His body is warm, a sign that he is still alive, and he has to fight himself to stay with us.

♐︎

               After wiping my tears and my nose, I return to the courtyard where I find Jon and Robb hugging each other. I take this moment to throw myself on them. I am only one year older than my two brothers, we spent all our childhood together – although Jon was not raised in the same way as us –. Leaving them is a real tear for me.

"Were you going to leave without saying goodbye?" I say to Jon.

               In a burst of laughter, he hugs me again. I didn't expect that from him, but I appreciate it. It proves that I mean as much to him that he does to me. This is the last time we see each other. So, let's not skimp on tenderness.

               My relationship with Jon ends here. I would see Robb several times, even if years will separate our meetings. Jon goes to the Wall. A place where many never return. Our uncle, Benjen, has been there for a very long time and is a high-ranking officer, which is why he came to see us. But nothing says that Jon can one day leave the Guard.

"Tyrion Lannister is going with you?"

"It seems so" my brother says. "Strange decision, the Wall is not a hotel."

"You seem to have befriended him" says Robb.

"As strange as it is, he is the least "Lannister" of all."

"That doesn't mean he's not."

               Tyrion and I have spent a few weeks together now. And my opinion of him remains the same. I look forward to seeing him in King's Landing.

"Pay attention in the capital" says Robb. "There are not only Lannisters there."

"I'll figure it out."

               Robb holds me tight. I know he will do a good job here. Winterfell has no secrets from him, he has the shoulders to govern the North. And if anything escapes him, Catelyn, our mother, will be by his side.