CHAPTER 3 - "Take care of him"

This morning, the men are going to hunt. I usually like to go hunting with my father. He's very good, he's the one who taught me everything. But, according to my mother, it "might be unpleasant". I imagine she is referring to Queen Cersei, the one who will take me under her wing once I arrive in the capital. Unfortunately, for my mother as for Cersei, I did not plan to comply with the rules of the Red Keep. I will do as I am asked within the limits of what is possible and ethical.

               My father and the king discuss in the middle of the courtyard of the castle, their departure is imminent. Robb and Theon, from their horses, look at me laughing. I don't know what they can say, and I prefer to remain in ignorance, it may not please me.

               I decided not to have THE discussion with Theon. We both know that there is no turning back and that the next time we meet again, it will certainly be at my wedding. We might as well enjoy the last moments we have left without thinking about the sadness of the departure.

               I see Tyrion Lannister on the other side of the yard. When we left last night, he seemed sober to me. But, given his looks, I doubt it.

               Halfway to him, I feel an arm wrap around me. Theon, that idiot, thought grabbing me from his horse was a good idea. His lips are on mine. This gesture, dangerous but romantic, makes me lose my calm. After his jealous outburst last night and the screams, he made throughout the castle, I cannot allow anyone to see me with him. And especially not that way.

               I free myself of his grip, my cheeks are red.

"Never do that again..."

"You don't like my lips anymore?"

"Do it again and it will be the last thing they kiss!"

"I take the risk!"

               I don't even wait for him to lean over to me to lend a hand on the horse's train. In a whining, the animal goes at full speed, taking Theon and his arrogance with him.

               I am reassured that Joffrey was not around. I would not have put up with it at such an hour of the day.

"You have a sponsor, Lady Stark" says Tyrion to me once I've regained my wits.

"And you're a drunk, Lord Lannister."

               I come to settle next to him, on a small stone wall.

"Good evening?" I ask.

"I may have slightly abused the drink."

               I laugh. I love this little man. What's interesting about him is that he seems, at first glance, to care about nothing. But, if one takes the time, he carries in him a great suffering that makes him endearing.

"So, Theon Greyjoy?" he asks.

"Have you ever been to the Iron Islands, Tyrion?"

               He's shaking his head as a respond.

"Well, neither do I... But I feel like I'm there. The Ironborns are pirates, they take wives and slaves wherever they want. An Ironborn becomes a man when he kills his first enemy. From my point of view, they are barbarians. From Theon's point of view, it is his homeland. He may have been here for years, raised by my father, but he wants to become «a real Ironborn».

"Do you like him?"

               All his brothers died in a rebellion lost in advance against an enemy who was not. His own father got rid of him. I never told him, but his sister, Yara, is designated as the future queen... If we don't love him, who will?