CHAPTER 20 - "No one can challenge that."

Bronn on my heels, I burst into Tyrion's room. I could have gone directly to Joffrey's apartments, but I still prefer to protect my back. The dwarf, lying in his bed with Shae, quickly straightens up to cover himself.

"May I ask what's wrong with you?" he takes offense.

"As I speak, the City Watch men are scouring the city for Robert's bastards. Children are murdered in the arms of their mother under the pretext that Joffrey lacks confidence in him."

"What do you say?"

              Without further ado, I tell him the scene that Ros attended a few minutes earlier. Omitting the reasons for my presence there. Tyrion knows nothing of my affair with Littlefinger and it must remain so. The trust that the Lannister places in me is very precious to me.

"I caught a conversation between Joffrey and Cersei this morning, I explain. He expressed his concern that Robert had several bastards who could claim the throne."

"So, he is aware of the other rumors."

"Jaime? Yes. He heard about it."

"And you're sure he ordered this attack?"

"No... I tried to reason with him, I told him that no matter how many people wish to ascend the throne, he is the only true king."

              Normally, the king hangs on my lips. So, I thought he would have reversed his decision and based his power in a different way. Why can't I accept once and for all that he will always disappoint me?

"Go find your husband" Tyrion tells me.

"After that? I can't spend the night in the same bed as him."

"You must. This problem will be solved by tomorrow, but you have to channel Joffrey."

"Obviously, it is of no use."

"Diana..."

               The Lannister then takes my hands in his. This reassuring gesture seems to me more condescending than anything else. I have the impression that everyone in this castle treats me like a child, it would be time for that to change.

               Tyrion is right.

"I know" I say after a long breath, so I will find my tender love, our good King Joffrey.

"I know of your sorrow."

"We'll talk tomorrow. Good night, sir."

               I lower my head slightly to greet them all before leaving the room, distraught. I have no power over the situation. All I must do is lie down next to Joffrey and sleep.

♐︎

               When I enter the room, I find a radiant Joffrey surrounded by servants who prepare him for bed. A snap of his fingers makes them all disappear at the speed of light, without a sound, although they take the time to lower their head to greet me.

"Have I ever told you that I can't stand someone else undressing me?" he asks me to my surprise.

"I never answer with a tight throat."

"What's wrong with you?"

               Eyes full of tears, I take off my clothes without answering her. The simple fact that Joffrey is in love with me breaks my heart. Simply because I know there is a world in which we are happy.

"Diana?"

"I have... I saw the baby..."

"The baby...?"

               It takes him a few seconds to make the link.

"Oh yes, of course!"

               A triumphant smile appears on his lips, he is deeply convinced that he made the right decision.

"They're just kids..." I complain. "They didn't do anything." 

"They could have. One of them could have claimed the throne. I did what I had to do. We are safe now."

♐︎

               The next day, I spoke to Tyrion again about the murder of Robert's bastards. As the Hand of the King, he has far more power than I. So, he framed Slynt. The poor man was sent to the Wall for the rest of his life.

               The commander of the Watch must be a man of trust and not another doggie of Cersei. The murder of a baby is not worthy of one of the most powerful men in the capital.

               Tyrion took the opportunity to put Bronn in Slynt's place. I don't know if Bronn is what you might call a "trusted man". He obeys whoever fills his purse.

♐︎

               Several days have passed since this terrible incident and calm has settled in the city. After much discussion, Tyrion convinced me not to stray from Joffrey. He still has hope that I have any influence on my husband. I personally stopped believing in it because of what happened last night.

               It had been days since I wanted to approach him, and he knew very well what I reproached him.

"Come to sleep" he says.

               Sitting facing the balcony, I answer him without looking.

"I'm not tired, Majesty."

"Are you going to be mad at me much longer? It had to be done."

"If you have to be persuaded to sleep, great. You can't make me do the same."

"My throne was in danger!" he says, angry.

               I finally decided to get up and join him in the center of the room.

"They were just bastards!" I spit." Nothing but illegitimate children too poor to eat! What are you so afraid of?"

"Rumors are circulating, you know that. I can't let anyone..."

"So what?! Jaime was much prettier than Robert, so what?!"

"Shut up!" he cries. 

"NO!!!"

               The slap he inflicted on me after that violently brought me back to earth. Was that all I was? A queen without power condemned to obey a cruel king?

               But I did not retaliate, it would have brought me only more problems. All I did while my whole body was shaking was kiss his cheek.

"You are the king, my love. No one can challenge that."

               Joffrey was content to observe me in silence.

               I have no hope.