CHAPTER 2 - "I was 14 years old"

Sitting on one of the wooden fences, I'm watching Robb and Theon chat. I don't have the heart for the party, I'm too preoccupied. Without being able to control it, my thoughts drift and I begin to imagine what the rest of my life will look like. I see myself alongside Joffrey, the underling of Cersei. The wolf among the lions.

"Everything is fine...?" Jon's deep voice asks me.

"Oh I..."

               He sits next to me.

"I've been through worse" I answer with a shrug.

"Do you like him...?"

               My eyes widen when I hear these words. I know that Jon is talking about Theon and not Joffrey, which makes it less scandalous. But all the same, this is not a question to ask in front of the main interested.

"It doesn't matter what I want or don't want. I'll do what I must do."

"I know that..." continues my brother. "But..."

"Stop... Please..."

            Of course I'd rather run away with Theon, spend the rest of my life with him – if he doesn't talk too much –. Except that, in this case, what I want doesn't matter. I wouldn't risk my family's honor for teenage whims.

"No one will change my mind" I conclude. "I know what I want."

"What you want?" says Theon as he approaches us.

               I recognize this smile that is so special to him. I would say that I see envy, superiority, and a touch of sarcasm... It has nothing in common when you don't know Theon. But I assure you, it makes sense.

"Absolutely" I answer, trying to imitate that smile. "What I want."

               The arm of the iron-born wraps around my waist, suddenly bringing me closer to him. I raise an eyebrow to try to hide my embarrassment, without success.

"I know what you want..." he whispers in my ear.

               I swallowed my breath, not knowing what to say. My heart has accelerated, all my senses are alert and, yet I am persuaded not to be the master of any of my movements. The smell of Theon fills my nostrils. His powerful hand on my waist and his chest glued to mine prevent me from concentrating. I hear Robb's forced cough in the distance trying to separate us.

               It is only at the end of what seemed to me to be several minutes and after having laid a kiss on my cheek, that Theon detaches from me.

"I ... must..." I'm not able to articulate something right.

"Is that how you treat my lady?!"

               My heart misses a beat when that amazingly familiar voice reaches us. It's a little too sharp to be Joffrey's.

"Arya! You scared me! I thought it was Joffrey."

               The little girl laughs away. Arya has always been like that, mischievous, touch everything, mix everything. You never know if she's serious or not. She's always ready for a new joke.

"I thought my time had come..."

♐︎

               Night has fallen on Winterfell. Inside the great hall, the party is in full swing. Sitting between Theon and Robb, I try somehow to avoid Joffrey's insistent gaze. I guess that's what my life will look like from now on.