CHAPTER 35 - "You've done enough."

When I open my eyes, I feel the wind beating on my face. I'm about 10 meters from the ground. It started again. The mere possibility of Tyrion's death was enough to awaken my powers. I raise my sword, to see if I have already fought, but what I see disturbs me more than human blood.

               The blade is on fire. Like Beric Dondarrion's during the Battle of the Trident. The Master of Light...

               If fighting is what the Master of Light expects of me, then I must fight. My sword right in front of me, I split the air towards the Baratheon soldiers. I skewer one before I hit the ground and throw his corpse on the next one. The fire surprises my enemies, which gives me time to get rid of many of them.

"Are you kidding me?"

               Bronn has just joined us on the beach and, between two swords, looks at me with disbelief.

"I missed you too!" I tell him with a laugh.

               We meet and embrace for a few moments before being again caught by the violence of the fight.

"Are you flying now?"

"It seems!" I answer. "But I have better in stock!"

"Better than a sword in flame?"

                    I reach out to the Blackwater. Like most of the time when I'm in this state, I have no idea what I'm doing but everything is so natural. At the same time as my arm, rises a wave of several meters that I direct towards our enemies. Several men are thrown against the wall, others on the ground and, those who have not been touched, remain stunned.

"It's much better than a sword in flames!" exclaims Bronn.

"Where is Tyrion?"

"He..."

"Where is Tyrion?!"

               Behind us, the Lannister is on the ground, Podrick holds him in his arms and a royal guard is lying next to them, dead. As far as I know that guard attacked Tyrion and Pod killed him. From what I understand that man tried to murder the King's Hand. From what I gather, Cersei ordered her brother's murder.

               I run to the Lannister and let myself fall beside him. A scar crosses his face, but he will not die.

"Right, Pod? He's not going to die."

"We need to get him inside, ma'am."

               The mercenary carries our friend while Pod and I escort him to the River Gate. I can't believe it happened in my custody. I was supposed to protect Tyrion, and one second of inattention was enough for him to almost getting killed.

               Once inside the ramparts, I instruct Podrick and Bronn to take the dwarf to the Red Keep, where he can be properly healed. I still have a few things to settle here.

               I go up the stairs to access above the wall. Stannis is somewhere and I will find him. And when I find him, he'll regret attacking my town.

               On my way, I dodge several shots, some of my own soldiers. I do not blame them, in these moments, the most effective is to hit on everything that moves.

               Halfway to the next door, I finally meet Stannis Baratheon. This is the first and last time our paths cross.

"Who are you?" he spits.

"Diana Stark."

"A traitor among others."

"Tell that to your brother."

               And our swords meet. Mine is still on fire, but his seems just as inhabited. I have already heard of the Red Witch who accompanied him, Melisandre of Asshai. Does she know what plans her god has for me? If so, why not stop Stannis from attacking my city? And will she have problems for it?

♐︎

               The last thing I saw and heard that night was Stannis' blade crashing on the ground. I passed out a few seconds later. The first thing I see when I wake up, apart from the ceiling of my room, is Sansa's eyes flushed with tears. Seeing her in this state saddens me but the perspective that she has watched over me, that she does not hate me, comforts me.

               At the foot of my bed, Arrow is on the lookout. She protects me, as always. I would certainly have died a lot of times if that dog didn't follow me everywhere.

               When she sees that I have opened her eyes, the girl throws herself at my neck. I try to raise my arm to hold her, but a terrible pain takes hold of my shoulder.

"Don't move" says my sister." You're not cured yet."

"What happened?"

"Stannis hurt you."

               I could have guessed.

"Where is he?"

"Soldiers said he was dead" she explains. "But his men evacuated him... Maybe he's still alive."

               I planted my sword on fire in the shores of Baratheon. Unless the Master of Light had not yet decided which of us was his favorite, there is little chance that he survived.

"So... We won."

"Tywin Lannister arrived with two armies. His and the Tyrells."

"Tywin...? I thought he was fighting Robb."

"The war is not over. But if it hadn't happened, Stannis would have won."

               Why would Tywin return to the capital if not because he already knows he's the winner? He is not the type to be assisted in anything, let alone at the head of his army.

"As the Tyrells helped us, Joffrey asked them what they wanted for the awards."

"And what did they say?"

"The girl, Margaery, she asked for a good marriage."

               Margaery is Renly's widow. The Tyrells allied themselves with him when he proclaimed himself king. If I hadn't been there, it's very likely that Margaery asked for Joffrey's hand.

"Did he agree?"

"We are talking about a marriage with Tommen but... He is so young..."

               The prince is the same age as our sister, Arya. It's normal to talk about Tommen's wedding, it's the best catch in all of Westeros. But Margaery is already a young woman while he is still a child.

"They can't do that" I say.

"The second option would be for her to marry Tyrion."

"Oh..."

               They can't do that either. By leaning on my right arm, I stand up.

"Tyrion. How's he doing?"

"He hasn't woken up yet. They say he's in a bad state."

"How long exactly have I been asleep?"

"Two days."

               Relieved, I allow myself to breathe again. I feel like I've missed months. Especially because something has changed in Sansa's eyes. She becomes a woman or, in any case, the child in her disappears.

"Is there anything else?" I ask her.

"I think I told you everything."

"Well, call the Maester, I have to get out of here."

"You can't, you're not cured."

"I'm fine."

"No!" she stops me as I try to get up. "You have to lie down and rest. You've done enough already."