CHAPTER 12 - "Petyr... No..."

Littlefinger comes into my room and lowers himself slightly to greet me. Contrary to usual, I do not come to greet him. I lay prostrate on my bed with tears in my eyes.

               The king is going to die, and my father tells anyone who will listen that Joffrey is not the legitimate heir. He thinks Stannis should succeed Robert. According to Renly, his own brother, he is more like a tyrant than a king. And, if Joffrey ascends the throne, the future won't be much brighter.

               Baelish sits against me, gently takes my chin between his thumb and index finger, and turns my head towards him. I feel so fragile in his arms, it's a new sensation for me.

"You have nothing to worry about" he says with his sweet voice. "Joffrey will ascend the throne and you will be his queen."

"That's not what I want..."

"That's what is planned."

               Planned? This word suggests to me that he has planned everything that will happen from the death of Robert... And perhaps even before.

               He puts his lips on mine, but I don't answer his kiss. I want him to stop, none of this makes sense and it is not his little tricks that will solve the situation.

"I know your plan, Petyr. Ned told me. You want Joffrey on the throne because proclaiming Stannis king would lead to war."

"Prince Joffrey is impressionable..."

"He will hurt the people around him."

"That's why we need to keep him under our protection" Littefinger says.

               "Our protection" means "my control". Joffrey is indeed impressionable. If Baelish uses the right words, it will be easy for him to make the prince do exactly what he wants. On the other hand, the prince is not stupid, if he realizes that he is being used, he will not hesitate to cut heads.

"Petyr... I have... I need you to promise me that my sisters will not be in danger."

"Nothing will happen to them..."

"This does not mean that they are not at risk."

"There is a risk..." he admits. "But I promise you they will be safe."

"Well... I trust you..."

               I guess.

               My father asked him to buy the trust of the men of the City Watch to protect him when he hands to Cersei the letter written by Robert who declares him Protector of the Realm until the majority of Joffrey.

          I just hope Cersei didn't have that idea before us.

"And what will happen to me afterwards?" I ask.

               I know his answer: I will marry Joffrey and give him a male child who will succeed him. And so on until the end of time.

"I don't like it, I'll never be happy with him, Petyr! I love you!"

"Diana..."

               He's getting a little closer to me.

"I'm afraid I'll disappoint you..."

"Don't say it... I don't want to hear it. And if you decide to say it, I won't understand it."

♐︎

               I accompany Ned to meet Littlefinger and Varys. It's hard for me to hide my affection for Baelish since our first kiss and I think my father now suspects a few things. Maybe it's because I jump every time someone says his name.