CHAPTER 23 - "This is an ordre, Lord Varys."

In front of the mirror, I look at my naked body filled with bruises. Those on my breasts and thighs will be easy to hide. My split lip and my open temple will be less.

               Shae helps me dress in silence, which I appreciate. I do not know how long the young woman has been in prostitution, but what is certain, by her way of acting with me, is that she must have seen many women in my case.

               It is only once ready, that I open my mouth:

"Who knows?"

"Just me and some maids."

"How do they know?"

"A girl heard you scream."

               Surprise, I'm not answering anything. I don't remember screaming. Maybe I didn't realize it.

"Do you know where Tyrion is?" I ask. "I want to see him."

"Don't you want to be alone?"

               I don't want it, I need it. At the mere thought of getting out of the room, my hands start shaking. I am ashamed of my blows, that all the ladies of the court see what he did to me.

"I need to talk to Tyrion. He needs to know, he's the only one who can help me."

"You should..."

"I'm not hurt enough to stay in bed, Shae."

               If Tyrion doesn't take matters into his own hands, Joffrey will never let me leave this damn room.

"I'll go alone" I say as I get out of my chair. "Can you go see how Arrow is doing and bring her to me?"

"Are you sure?"

"I'm not afraid."

               The tremor in my hands says the opposite.

"Let them see what he did to me. Let them finally see who their king is."

              Without further ado, I leave the room to go as quickly as possible to the apartments of the Hand. On my way, I only meet a few ladies chatting who barely look at me.

♐︎

               With my hand on the handle, I look at the door with intensity. My heart is pounding, guilt is eating away at me. I can't help but think that if I had entered the room when the Hound forbade me, I could have helped Ros and her friend. That if I hadn't been upset last night, nothing would have happened to me.

               The door opens and Bronn steps back from me.

"I'm that scary?" I kid when I come in.

               Amazed, Tyrion slowly advances towards me.

"What happened to you?"

"Joffrey, I answer, chin trembling."

               I don't want to say more, it's painful enough.

"Did he ra...?" begins Bronn.

"Don't say it."

               The mercenary advances his hand towards me, but I step back. A contact with Shae is enough for today.

"Tonight?" Tyrion asks me.

"You saw me yesterday, I was fine."

"I am... deeply..."

"You can be. The only time Joffrey touched me was on our wedding day. I was unconscious, it was much less painful."