CHAPTER 8 - "It Depends on Perspective"

We have been in King's Landing for a month and every day I spend here, I learn new things. Like, for example, that there are very few men of honor in this city.

               Everyone who ventures into the dirty streets of the capital is there for a very specific reason. Most of them seek glory or at least some form of power. That's what Sir Duval came up with: a name, a land, a status. Before he died suddenly.

               I also learned that I shouldn't trust anyone, even those I think I know best. Sansa in particular. She begged my father to arrange her wedding with Joffrey. I'm starting to believe this kid hates me.

               Joffrey, by the way, has been kind over the last few days. I must admit, surprisingly, that I'm starting to appreciate him. I don't forget the way he behaved with my sisters on the Royal Road but, after all, I'm going to marry him. Then we might as well start tolerating each other.

♐︎

               Someone knocks at the door of my room, pulling me out of my dreams. I stand up and shout: "come in!". The Northern Guard opens the door to announce my visitor: Petyr Baelish. Another man I learned to appreciate.

               I get up from my bed to welcome him, a smile on my face. Since this incident at the Hand's Tournament, Baelish and I have not met again.

               Actually, I haven't seen anyone since. I've been locked up here for the past week, daydreaming and planning how, on my next outing, I might make sure I don't cross the Mountain.

"Lady Diana" he greets me on entering.

"Lord Baelish" I'm answering. "I'm glad to see you."

               In one week, the only people who came to see me were my father, Arya, and Jory, because they were worried about me, and Sansa and Joffrey, because they were obliged to.

"You made a lot of people talk about you" he says as he sits down.

"I can't help it, it's my biggest curse."

               Maybe I'm laughing now, but just two days ago I was worried that my maid might have seen my «fight» against the Mountain. Because I was as brave as desperate. And I'm obviously no match for a giant like him.

"And" I add by sitting in front of Littlefinger. "What exactly are they saying?"

"Prince Joffrey brags to anyone who will listen. Since he is the heir to the throne, the whole court heard him say how extraordinary his future wife was."

               I can't help but blush.

               When the prince came to visit me, he did indeed praise me. He told me that I was impressive, courageous, et cetera. But I didn't think he meant a word of it. I thought, on the other hand, that he was visiting me under orders from his mother and that he was just courting me to make sure that I'll his side when the time comes.

"And the others?"

"I didn't hear any comments about you" Littlefinger assures me.

"Well... All right."

               This will help me get out of my room.

"Thank you, Lord Baelish... I'm starting to feel little cramped here."

"You don't have to stay locked up" he confides in me as if it were a secret.

"I know it... But I just..."