CHAPTER 34 - "King Without Crown"

Two days later without any visit from my dear husband, I can finally get out of bed. The Grand Maester Pycelle, back at his post, prepared me a sash and formally prohibited me from raising my arm. So, I can no longer dress or undress alone. I did not dare to tell him about my possible pregnancy, this rumor could spread and condemn me.

               If I hadn't come back for the Battle of the Blackwater, I would have stayed with the Brotherhood. Thoros must know a thing or two about abortion. And if he didn't know any, he would just have helped me deliver.

               I know I couldn't keep this secret forever. Hopefully, the violent fight against Stannis will have killed the child. I can't believe I think that. A baby is supposed to be happy news.

               I just don't want this life for him or for me. I don't want Cersei to take my child and turn him into a new Joffrey and relegate me to the status of laying hen. If I had taken the contraceptive potion that Varys brought me several months ago, we wouldn't be here.

"Ma'am" a man I don't even take the time to look at says on my left.

               His voice awakens something in me. Something I had fled deeply because she would have ended up getting my skin. After several long breaths, I finally turn to my interlocutor.

"Sir."

"Diana..." he starts by moving towards me. 

"Step back, sir."

"I didn't think you'd be mad at me again..."

"You betrayed me, Petyr. You thought a little retreat in the Stormlands would wash you of all your sins?"

"I thought you would miss me."

               He has this little smile so characteristic that reminds me of our first moments together. I also thought I would miss him but that's not the case, these months away from him have done me the greatest good. I was able to realize the hold he had on me, a young woman who came to lose her father, who was far from home, alone.

               Except that at that moment, while he gets closer to me until he touches my hand, the only thing that reminds me of reality and prevents me from kissing him is my sore shoulder.

"I'm married, sir" I say backwards.

"I know that ma'am. Even so, your health is more important to me than you think."

"If my health was at risk, I would not walk alone."

"Most certainly."

"I guess we must thank you. For rallying the Tyrells to our cause."

"King Joffrey has already done this, ma'am. He thanked me with Harrenhal."

               Harrenhal, although making him one of the greatest lords of the kingdom, is not a gift, on the contrary. It is a ruined castle that no one dares to approach because legend says it is haunted.

"You are the one to be thanked" adds Baelish.

"Why?"

"Everyone is aware of your accomplishments."

"I just helped my men."

"A commanding officer lends a hand, merges into the mass. You fly, wield a flaming sword, and control the water. Your name is in every mouth. Some people already call you "the She-wolf of King's Landing"."

               All my ancestors must turn in their graves. But it's good for business. My popularity rating seems to have increased in just about everyone. «Pretty much» because Cersei and Joffrey must already be plotting against me.