CHAPTER 28 - "You Will Pay For It."

I'm listening. Untie me.

               After a second of reflection, Beric Dondarrion leans towards me to undo my ties. As soon as I'm free, I reach out to Arrow, who is licking me with enthusiasm. It is difficult for us to be separated for too long.

"The Master of Light has great plans for you" Thoros de Myr explains. "You were given your powers for a very specific reason. You have a role."

"A role? In what?"

"In all of this. Everything happens for a purpose. We are only actors, we play our role and when it ends, we withdraw."

"We die, to be precise."

               I don't like that. I hate the idea that every action I take is decided in advance by a higher power. I am the only master of my decisions.

"What you tell me there would make a very good story to tell the children" I say. "The bards could sing it in the inns. Only that I am neither a child nor a traveler, so thank you, but very little to me."

               I accompany this last sentence with a small bow before getting up once and for all.

"You want a story?" Beric tells me. "You can tell it when you'll return to the capital."

               The knight managed to catch my attention, which I already deplore. I feel the tearful story coming miles away.

"I've died five times" he says.

"I'm young, not stupid" I respond defensively.

               From an Olympian calm, Dondarrion removes his eye patch to discover a deep scar that bristles my hair.

"Thoros brought me back every time with his prayers" he explains.

"How..." I start. "How did it happen? How did you die?"

"Eddard Stark sent us to Riverlands to clear the area of Gregor Clegane and his men. This one planted a sword in my stomach."

               Thoros steps forward. His face has changed, he must remember when he saw his friend die.

"I became a priest very young" he says. "None of my prayers were heard, I quickly lost faith. So, when I arrived in Westeros, I indulged in the pleasures of drinking and women. R'hllor had never helped me, why would I?"

"Why did you do it?"

"Because that day, on the battlefield, I was alone. When I saw Beric die, I knelt next to his cold body, and I recited the words of other times. Not that I believed it, but... He was my friend after all. And he was dead. Those were the only words I could recite. For the first time the Master answered me. Beric opened my eyes and I saw the truth: the only true god is our god. And men must all serve him."

               A poignant story, as I had anticipated. However, it is difficult to fully believe it without having seen it with my own eyes. And, as you can imagine, I don't intend to kill Beric Dondarrion for a show.

"Once is a miracle" I object. "Five times is a bit far-fetched; don't you think?"

"The Master has something planned for Beric. That's why he brings him back every time."

               This explanation is consistent with the rest of their story.

"Okay. Okay... I might believe it. But what am I doing in there?"

"Your powers, Your Majesty" Beric tells me. "They are not a coincidence. So is the fact that I am still alive."

"And how will you help me?"

"It will be difficult..." begins Thoros. "But we will do what we can to allow you to use your powers safely."

               I'm sure they have no idea how to proceed. I have no desire to live in a cave. And I have a mission. I must go. I have no more time to waste.

"I didn't leave King's Landing because I wanted a vacation" I explain. "I have to go to my brother's camp to stop this war."

"This war has begun to avenge your father" Beric stops me. "You can't st..."

"I can, and I will. The situation escapes us, and Robb goes straight into the wall. It is my duty to stop this massacre. And once that is done, I must return to the capital to fight Stanis."

"You have chosen your side."

               I suddenly feel like I've been struck by lightning. I often wonder what my father would have wanted me to do. Flee the capital and help Robb? Or fulfill my duty by protecting Sansa and the people of King's Landing? This question has kept me awake for almost a year.

               This torture is in vain. Ned Stark is dead, beheaded for treason. I do not intend to suffer the same fate.

"Like the Master of Light, my father makes no decisions for me. What I would do is in my hands."

"So, make the right choice" says Thoros.

"I'll stay with you two days. Not one more. If you can convince me, I will come back and continue my training once the war is over. If not, you will let me go."

"We'll start tomorrow! Rest a bit."

               Rest? In this wet cave surrounded by men I do not know? Very little for me. Moreover, it would be impossible for me, I am far too preoccupied with what awaits. I have no idea what Beric and Thoros are up to, and to be honest, I fear the worst. But that's a start.

               A few weeks ago, I was blaming all these little miracles on chance. Now everything makes sense. A stone did not fall on Theon's foot. Sansa did not walk too close to the fireplace when her robe caught fire. The snow did not fall in the middle of summer because of a meteorological paradox on the day of my birth.

               Everything is connected. It is thanks to (or for Sansa and Theon because of) me.

♐︎

                I am awakened by loud noises coming from outside the cave. When I open my eyes, I realize that everyone has disappeared. I'm looking for Arrow groping and mumbling her name before I realize she's not there either. Were we attacked? No, they wouldn't have left without me.

               Or maybe they would. We've only known each other for a few hours, after all. Why would they protect a stranger? Because I am their queen. No, all these men are deserters, they mock my rank.

               It takes me a few minutes to get up before I remember Arrow is gone. Giant northern wolf fur is worth gold. If these bandits have decided to kill her, they'll come back and kill me.

               I grab my sword and rush out of the cave. Outside, a fight rages. Not, as I thought, between the Brotherhood and royal soldiers, but between Beric, Thoros and Arrow.

               When I call her, she does not turn around but responds with a powerful grunt. It is only when I see the wound in her leg that I really understand what is happening.

"How dare you?!" I shout to both men. "How dare you attack my wolf?! You... YOU WILL PAY FOR IT!"

               I feel the wind in my hair as I rise in the air. Without understanding how, a flash of lightning falls two steps from Beric and Thoros. I fall on them, sword in hand. I hear the steel meet, grunts, and cries of pain. I don't know where they come from. Perhaps it is the smell of my own blood that rises to my nostrils, I cannot say. What I know is that I am steel, and that steel is me. The elements answer me, I am the elements.