CHAPTER 18 -"You are the King."

The information about the end of the summer that Varys reported to me was not enough to quench my thirst for secrets. These last days, I live only for this: my interviews with the Master of Whisperers. I'm waiting to hear about the conflict between Tywin Lannister and my brother, Robb.

               Robb went into this war after our father's execution. He, like many, could not bear to know that the most honorable man in all of Westeros had died because of a false accusation of treason.

               I have very little hope for his victory, his survival. For now, he is victorious in each of his battles, but he faces the most powerful man in the country. Tywin Lannister has never lost and if he finds himself in an unfortunate position of weakness, he finds a way out... By destroying everything in its path.

               Varys told me that in the North they called my brother "the Young Wolf". It has become their only hope, and I am afraid it will be their last.

♐︎

               After dark, I prepare to join Tyrion in his room.

"Where are you going?" asks Joffrey.

               The King hasn't touched me since we got married – without my consent – so I thought he wouldn't mind if I slipped away for a night. Just one more disappointment.

"Your uncle invited me to his apartments" I answer.

"Why would you want to spend time with this gnome?"

"I'm very fond of Tyrion, my king."

"Sometimes it's hard for me to understand you."

               I still must do the dirty work, it seems... I sit on the bed next to Joffrey and take his hand. Whenever he seems unhappy, I play the same little game of seduction. And, every time, it falls in like a bruise. So why change?

"How many times have I asked you to call me by my first name?" I say kissing each of his fingers.

               He gives off his hand, an expression of disgust in his face. This time, he will give me a hard time.

"Joffrey..." I say.

"Don't you have a dwarf to go and stuff with wine?"

"But you are jealous!"

"Jealous?! Of this imp?!"

"Himself!"

"No more words! I don't stoop to these feelings. I have many other concerns."

               His disgust for my sweet words turned into a hatred for his uncle. I must quickly get out of this situation before the head of Tyrion is hung above the ramparts.

"Your uncle and I have been friends since we first met in Winterfell. He makes me laugh, his words of mind are pleasant, and he understands me or, in any case, he tries."

"I'm happy for him. Off you go."

"You'll have to take a step towards me, Joffrey" I conclude, exasperated. "Because one day it will be too late."

"Too late for what?" he asks when I am already heading to the door.

"For me to forget you."

♐︎

               On the way to Tyrion's room, these words loop through my head. Why would I forgive him? Why would I want to be his ally when he had my father killed and made me watch him die?