CHAPTER 17 - "Sir Bronn, it has been a pleasure."

A tournament was organized for our King Joffrey's birthday, the whole court is invited, it is a great moment. Like everything that touches his royal person directly or indirectly. And I never forget to remind him of this.

               Ever since my father died, when I thought it would take me away from Joffrey, we've been closer than ever. I make sure we are. He must think I love him, and ultimately, he must love me. To have a place in the heart of the king assures me of security, for me as for Sansa.

               I decided not to go to the tournament, still traumatized by the memory of the Mountain wielding its sword over my head. I make only a brief appearance at the beginning and at the end of the day to silence the bad tongues.

               So, I have a lot of free time. I spend most of this time trying to convince Cersei to let me attend the Small Council meetings. You must tell yourself, like any sane person, that it is the King who must make the important decisions. But as Joffrey is not yet 18, Cersei remains the queen regent.

               When I don't hunt down Cersei and fool around with Joffrey, I figure out a plan. That is, how to escape without imploding the city.

♐︎

               Sitting in front of the Council Chamber, I am waiting for the door to finally open to be able to gather important information from Varys. The Spider and I have become very good friends since I decided to get away from Littlefinger. He keeps me informed of everything that's going on in the kingdom, everything Cersei doesn't want me to know.

               I haven't had any contact with Baelish since I moved to Joffrey's apartment. I do not miss the desire to join him during the night, but I never know if it would be to kiss him or to kill him.

               Metal noises similar to shattering armor reach me on my right. I stand up, ready to respond in case of problems, but it is not an enemy. This is Tyrion Lannister followed by a dozen men in armor.

               Happy to see my friend again, I bow, smiling.

"Lord Lannister."

"Majesty..."

               The dwarf lowers, but I detect in this sign of respect a hint of sarcasm.

"You were quick since the Green Fork" I tell him.

"You seem to know a lot" he answers. "I guess you met Varys."

"We left almost a year ago, sir. A lot happens in a year..."

               Tyrion decides to answer me by gently taking my hands in his. This gesture that I welcome with a smile, resonates throughout my body. It's been weeks since anyone showed me any sign of affection.

"So?" I ask. "Why are you here?"

"So, you don't know everything!"

"I admit, I'm still in the ground. I would probably know more if your sister deigned to let me into the Council Chamber!"

"So, Cersei hasn't changed in a year. Unlike you."

               The last time we saw each other, in the North, as he was leaving for Black Castle. The dwarf mocked my future marriage to his nephew and made me promise not to marry him before he returned. Unfortunately, in one year, nothing went as planned.

               We have a lot to tell each other.

"I was just getting ready to join the Small Council" says Tyrion. "I have big news to tell my sister."