4. Town Hall Gathering

The intense gaze of Francesco on her was really bothering Adele. It made no sense. He had been staring at her silently while she was eating her apple pie with out saying a word the whole time. she had caught him staring a few times and smiling at her even as she had glanced upwards. Not that it ever made any difference. He kept looking at her with his piercing blue eyes even as he was biting his pie.

At last Adele gave out a frustrated sigh and looked up " Francesco. Is there a reason you are looking at me. is something wrong? Is there something wrong with my hair or my dress."

The question caught the attention of Angelo and Costanzo too. They both looked up with raised eyebrows. Costanzo was really worried how this conversation was going to end. Francesco didn't like people who questioned him. But before Costanzo could say anything to improve the situation, Angelo beat him to it.

Angelo turned to his sister and spoke " Adele. Don't be impolite. Looking at people is not a crime. These guys are Italian-Americans just like us. Do you have any idea how lucky we are to meet some people who are from our culture? They have Italian blood that has nothing but honour and respect. Don't be rude to these two, ever. Now apologise to Francesco for speaking to him like that."

Adele was looking at Angelo with surprise. "I didn't mean any disrespect. I just was asking why he was looking at me non-stop." She then turned to Francesco " I don't apologise for asking questions."

Angelo sounded furious " Enough Adele. Say sorry now. How dare you insult an honourable Italian?"

Francesco smirked " That is alright Angelo. I forgive your sister. She didn't mean to imply that I am not honourable I am sure of it. Were you trying to imply that?"

Adele sounded bewildered " What? Of course not.... I just wanted to know why you were staring."

Francesco spoke "I believe you. Don't let it bother you. Don't mind me. I just like to make eye contact when I socilaise and meet people. I have never heard of anyone complaining to me though. You don't need to take offense girl."

Angelo turned to Adele " " You think these guys are like the Americans who were in our school back in Los Angeles. Don't you?" He then turned to Francesco "The boys back where we lived just flirted with Adele so openly it was crazy. I think the fact that she had no boyfriend when entering high school was baffling to them. They couldn't understand why a girl wouldn't date. Italian women only show interest to one man only in their lives and that would be of course their future husband. In our school boys just dated girls on weekly basis and then dumped them for another. Where is the respect for women here that we Italians have? I say it's the movies that makes these people think that a girl has to jump into the arms of every guy who gives her flowers or chocolates or any fancy gift they manage to hand the girls. Our house was like a green house when it was time to ask girls to charity dance events and junior proms. Seriously I am so glad we are done with LA. I couldn't stand guys chasing my sister every day."

Francesco's expression was now hardened "I have a feeling you wont have this problem in this town. trust me. We wont let it happen."

Adele sighed "For heavens sake. This is the 1950s. We are in the second half of the 20th century. This is not the medieval times. Girls can date who they want when they want and then can dump the guy every time if they don't get along. What is wrong with that? I just never dated since I just wasn't interested in anyone I met. That is all. I hate it when you talk like this. What is your problem with Americans Angelo?"

Angelo spoke "I have a problem since most Americans always want something in return." He then turned to Francesco and Costanzo "Our grandparents came here during the 1900s and they have told us many tales of Americans trying to cheat them. I say I would rather die than trust an American. This may be the 1950s but nothing much has changed. What do you guys think? Do you think any Italian can trust an American?"