28. Doubtful Moments

Francesco came back with a tray of milk and honey and closed the door. As he was putting the tray on the table and spoke "Have this and take a rest sweetheart. I don't want to see you awake when I come back. I also will remember to lock the door this time so you don't have to go around exploring and see anything you don't like to see."

But as Francesco turned around was about to leave, Adele walked to him and put her hands on his chest blocking his path to the door " Please don't go back to that room. Please."

Francesco spoke "Sweetheart. I have to go back to work. I cant stay here. My men are waiting for me to instruct them."

Adele spoke quickly "Stay here with me. I don't want to stay locked up here alone while you are gone."

Francesco raised an eyebrow "Is that what this is about then? You don't want me to lock you up? Fine then. I won't. If it bothers you, I won't lock the door. I will give you the choice. You can go around exploring but if you see something you don't like, I am not to blame. How about that? But I won't be long sweetheart. I will be back soon. Just rest and wait for me."

Adele spoke "Don't go back. I don't want you to go back there and leave me here waiting."

Francesco sighed "Fine. If you don't want to wait for me then ... come with me. But you cant scream this time like how you did. You can watch silently."

Adele spoke "Francesco please. You don't understand. I don't want you to go back there and kill those men. I know that's what you will do. Please don't go back." Adele even didn't know where her courage was coming from. But now that she had seen Francesco not intending to hurt her for her interference she had gained more confidence.

Francesco spoke " Don't ever plead to me sweetheart. Pleading is only what my enemies should do. You have no reason to plead to me for anything. Anything you name, I will provide for you. But when you ask for anything relating to my business, the answer is only no. I am sorry sweetheart but that's the way it is. Now Adele, either step aside or come with me. I have work to do."

Adele stood where she was and didn't move an inch " No. I won't step aside. Neither would I want to come with you. I want you here. I don't want you to go back there. I don't want you to kill those men."

Francesco's tone was becoming colder" So what? What if I kill them? This is what I do. You didn't answer my question sweetheart. I said either step aside or come with me. I am giving the choice to you to either not look at what I do or look at what I do. I don't like my questions to be ignored sweetheart."

Adele whispered "I choose to do neither."

Francesco sighed in frustration and without warning he lifted Adele in the air and carried her bridal style to the bed. He laid her down gently "I will choose for you then. You stay here until I come back. My decision is always final sweetheart. I have handcuffs by the way. If you get up, I will tie you to the bed. And I don't want to hear another word from you Adele." He was looking at Adele with a serious expression. Adele was thinking quickly in her mind. How was she going to convince Francesco to not kill those men. She wished Costanzo was here and could tell her what to do.

Francesco was towering over her small figure on the bed. He was standing there intimidating her with his piercing stare that had turned serious. He was giving her an instruction and was not in any playful mode at all. He was looking at Adele intensely daring her to have a come back. When he heard no response, he nodded "Good girl. Stay there. I won't be long and ......."

Suddenly a knock on the door stopped him mid sentence. It was Costanzo's voice coming from behind the door "Sorry to disturb you. Its me. Can I come in?"