40. Convincing Him (Part 2)

Angelo waited patiently for his boss to return after he said goodbye to Adele. But he took his time. As Adele had turned to leave, Francesco had remained unmoving watching Adele walk away until she disappeared from the corridors. He then took a deep breath and walked back to his sofa and ordered Antonio to get him some strong vodka.

Francesco sipped on his vodka and looked at Angelo. He then finally broke the silence with a chuckle as he looked at Angelo's scared expression " You look shaken up Angelo. You seem to be worried and .......... you should be. I am your boss now and I don't tolerate failure. Gone are the days you were hiding in small town hospitals. This is your world now. You are working at one of the most powerful underworld organisations right now. You may be a doctor but you must still be exposed to the life of crime and what goes on around you. Today is your lucky day. I think I am going to cut you a break Angelo since it's your first day reporting to me. I am going to dismiss you but ...... not until you get educated about how I operate around here. You may stand at the back alongside my other employees in your spot, I showed you earlier. You will be a spectator until I dismiss you. Off you go."

Angelo hung his head and walked to Francesco and kissed his hand. He had to do this gesture whenever he was addressed in any meeting. He then made his way to a spot at the back and obediently watched as Francesco received each one of his employees.

Most employees were handing successful reports and news of profits. But many also delivered news of some disturbance and failure by some individuals. Those who were identified as the guilty ones were severely punished by Francesco. Those unfortunate condemned people were ranging from captive enemy spies, thieves to even trespassers.

For Angelo, it felt like witnessing a court of law rather than a business meeting in that room. The guilty individuals were either beaten within an inch of their life in that very room or killed or sent to the cellar. Francesco gladly carried our their sentences mostly but sometimes he looked too bored and handed the responsibility to his men.

After witnessing hours of cruelty by Francesco, as well as feeling sick, Angelo couldn't help but also feel some relief too. Angelo considered himself lucky to not have displeased Francesco in any way. The punishments that were handed out were gruesome to watch, yet Francesco found time in between to enjoy a few drinks before proceeding with interrogating the remainder of his employees that were to report to him.

Angelo wasn't sure how much more of this sick show he could witness. He so badly wanted to run outside the room but he knew how unforgiving his boss was. He had kept him behind on purpose to show him what happened to those who wronged him. He wanted to put fear in Angelo's heart so he never tried anything reckless or risky. Angelo couldn't understand why else would his boss need him to remain in that meeting room. It was not like his boss was planning on healing any of his victims that prompted any use for a physician like Angelo. He was the doctor of the compound. He wasn't really needed for anything else. He was only kept there to be taught a lesson for sure.

But Angelo couldn't take any more. He was feeling terrible. He had to leave this room. Heck he wanted to leave this horrific organisation but he knew he was a dead man if Francesco ever caught him trying to escape. He was here for life so he had to get used to this life but it didn't mean it was easy. It seemed near impossible. So he collected his courage and walked up to Francesco who was now seated on his sofa and after dismissing the latest victim, was about to call upon his next employee to report to him.

Francesco looked at Angelo and raised his eyebrow " What is it Angelo? You want permission to speak? Granted."

Angelo took a deep breath and spoke " May I be excused from this meeting. I wish to leave."

Francesco spoke " Why? What's your excuse?"

Angelo's mind suddenly went blank under Francesco's heavy stare. He didn't know what to say. He then said the first thing that came to mind as he eyed his boss's bottles of vodka on the table. " I need a drink outside. If it's ok, I wish to leave for a drink."