14. No Choice In Matters

Adele opened her eyes and woke up from her deep sleep to rays on sunshine entering the room through the opened windows. She looked at the clock. It was eleven o'clock. She couldn't believe how she had overslept and no one had woken her up for breakfast. She then was even more surprised as she saw a tray of breakfast on the table. Some pastries, bread rolls and jam and a glass of orange juice was sitting on the tea table in the middle of the room. She couldn't believe she was allowed to eat in her room now. What had happened? Then she remembered that Piero Rosario was in hospital so it seemed like the rules of attending breakfast and leaving breakfast at a certain time were no longer exercised. It made sense now. The memory of following Francesco and encountering the cellar door and finding out what Francesco was upto last night hit her hard. She shook her head "I want to forget this. i really do." She then got up and changed her night dress and freshened up in the bathroom.

She was then startled as she walked into the room through the bathroom door "Good morning Adele. Did you sleep well?" Francesco was standing leaning to the wall next to the window of the balcony smiling at her. He looked very cheerful. Too cheerful.

Adele spoke "Good morning. You scared me. Don't sneak in like this again. I didn't hear no door open. Never mind that. Why didn't you wake me up. I hate it when I sleep too much."

Francesco chuckled "I couldn't bring myself to wake you up. When Costanzo knocked, you made no movement."

Adele walked to Francesco and stood in front of him "Francesco. What is happening. Why do you look so ... happy? What has changed?"

Francesco spoke "Its a long story. Alot happened last night. First of all. My uncle Piero is in a coma in hospital since he knocked himself out when he got drunk and fell of the stairs and hit his head in the middle of the night. So that's why you are getting breakfast in bed and there are no more laws of his in this mansion......"

Adele spoke carelessly "I know that already. But it doesn't explain why you look so happy?"

Francesco's expression turned into a stone cold one and he spoke in a low and threatening voice "Excuse me?" Adele's eyes widened. She just realised what she had said. She had admitted to knowing something that only she could have heard from someone else beside Francesco and she knew Fabio was a dead man if Francesco found out he had talked to her. She stuttered "Um. What else happened?"

Francesco spoke firmly "You said you already know about my uncle being unwell. Who told you? I want a name."

Adele swallowed hard as she felt the danger. This Francesco was different to the one who treated her with so much care and love. She spoke "Did I say that... I meant .... I didn't know."

Francesco lifted his hand and Adele assuming the worst, closed her eyes and braced herself for a blow. She thought he was going to hit her. But instead she felt his hand caressing her cheek gently. "Adele. Open your eyes. I would never hurt you."

Adele slowly opened her eyes and looked at Francesco "You are angry. You scare me Francesco. You raised your hand. I thought you were going to hit me."

Francesco huffed "Of course I should be angry. You just admitted that you know something that you shouldn't. But i would never hurt you Adele. How many times do I have to say that I wouldn't ever let any harm come to the ones I love. You just hurt my feelings by doubting me. As I was looking at you, I just realised how hollowed your cheeks are. You look so weak. You need to eat. I should take better care of you. Have breakfast now..... while I go downstairs and call upon the night shift guards and beat the truth out of them. They were the only ones in this mansion last night beside me, my brother and my father that could have told you. I made it clear to them that they are not allowed to come near you."