19. Reunited After Years Apart

10 Years Later

Adele was walking home from work quite late alongside her brother. It was almost 9 o'clock in the evening. Their shifts as on call doctors had just ended and they knew nothing but tiredness.

It had been a year now since Adele and Angelo had moved into a rented small house in the centre of Oklahoma City. Their landlord happened to be a wealthy businessman and his son happened to be one of Angelo's and Adele's colleagues at the hospital. His name was Michael and he was very close to Adele. As close as any man had gotten to Adele ever since she had said goodbye to Francesco. Of course Angelo knew nothing of her affections for Michael at all and the extent of their relationship even though it had been 12 months now that they had been dating secretly away from his eyes. Exactly a year had passed since they had met Michael when Angelo and Adele had gone to see their house to rent it. Michael had taken an immediate liking to her and had asked her out. Angelo had told him flatly " Over his dead body Adele dated anyone" and he had even threatened to call their parents to get them involved and get Adele transferred to a different hospital far away from Michael if he didn't back off. After that, Michael had kept his distance in public but in private Adele and Michael were dating hoping Angelo was not going to find out about them. Adele knew of the dangers Angelo posed. He was allowed to contact Francesco anytime and then Michael was going to be in deep trouble.

As Angelo and Adele reached their house, Angelo turned the key in the lock and went in. He then turned to Adele " Why aren't you coming in".

Adele spoke " Its a Friday night. Its our night off. I want to go see a friend tonight."

Angelo spoke " Which friend? Are you going to see Megan? Can i come too?" Megan was Adele's best friend and also Angelo's girlfriend. Ironically she was an all American girl. Her ancestors went all the way back to the Irish arriving by the Mayflower or so her family claimed. Her family were not very nice and were quite proud and uptight but Megan was lovely and outgoing. She was a school teacher who had turned out to be an angelic girl who put up with all flaws within her brother. She had completely changed Angelo. Now he didn't hate Americans at all. He loved Americans and in fact was very defensive when any one talked badly about anything that was American. He even had expressed remorse about all the horrible thoughts he used to have about Americans. Miracles did happen it seemed. This improvement had given Adele hope that maybe she could trust Angelo and tell him he loved an American.

Adele spoke carefully " No. Actually. I am going to see .... Michael tonight."

Angelo's eyes widened "Adele .... Have you lost your mind? You are kidding. Right?" He then fearfully looked around and grabbed her hand and pulled her inside the house forcefully. He closed the door and looked at Adele " You know you can't date. Please tell me you were kidding." He looked more fearful than angry. This was at least a good sign that he didn't look mad.

Adele spoke " Look. You are dating an American. Why can't I? I thought we were over this. Is this to do with your prejudice or is it about you know ... Francesco. Is it? Look. I must say, it's all over between us. Ten years has passed. He is not going to come back for me. He has most likely moved on and who knows he maybe even married with children. Is this what makes you block the door? I am 24 now. I can make my own decisions. I am tired of waiting for him,"

Angelo shook his head " Adele. Why do you think so low of me. My disapproval of Michael has nothing to do with him being American. I am not like that any more. I like him actually. I think any girl he marries would be lucky to have him but you said it yourself. I don't think i need to elaborate on what is wrong. You are Francesco's. He will come for you. I know he will. He is not someone to let things go. Adele. Have mercy on Michael's life if you don't care for me. If you date any man Francesco would blame me for not keeping an eye on you. He would also kill Michael for sure. You are his."