25. Her Compromises

Adele was worried sick. It had been about two hours since Francesco had dropped her off in his bedroom and had told her to watch TV until he finished talking to Costanzo. Adele had tried to convince Francesco in the restaurant that Costanzo was innocent but it had only angered him more. Adele had gone silent after Francesco had thrown a wine glass across the room.

The television had been on for two hours but Adele knew nothing but worry. She was blaming herself for the pain that could be causing to all those she loved and cared about. She wished she had never met Francesco and hadn't become his first love that he obsessively, possessively and unconditionally loved. But part of her loved Francesco. She didn't return his affections completely but she cared for him. She wasn't sure if what she felt for him was love or it was sympathy for his brutal upbringing that had ripped away his soul from him.

Adele wanted to help Francesco. She wanted to have faith in him changing his ways one day but what she had witnessed on her first day back with him was weakening her faith. Her mother's words echoed through her mind. When she had been in hospital recovering from a car accident she had tried to comfort her daughter by telling her to be strong. One comforting sentence stuck with her. "Adele. This life would never ask from you, more than you can handle. Have faith sweetie."

As she was deep in though, she heard footsteps and heard the door open slowly. The wait was over. In this mansion, since Francesco was the boss, he never locked her door to his bedroom, since no one working for him dared dream of entering his room or even think about hurting Adele knowing his reputation.

Adele braced herself to face Francesco and was hoping she could find out what he had done to Costanzo. She turned around and to her surprise, she saw Antonio in the room. He closed the door behind him and turned around "Hi Adele. We met yesterday. Right. Remember me Antonio. I am so sorry I didn't knock before I let myself in. Its just a security procedure I follow. Sometimes I do not knock. Just in case you know, someone maybe in a room waiting to attack me."

Adele stood up "Where is Costanzo?"

Antonio started to cough sarcastically and then he walked to Adele "You meant to ask where is Francesco? Right? Havent you landed Costanzo in so much trouble with our boss as it is? Do you want my cousin to cripple his little brother today as well as beating the day lights out of him? Do you? Sit down. I really need to talk to you."

Adele sat down looking at Antonio in horror "Has Francesco hurt him badly. Please tell me what's going on?" She covered her mouth with her hands waiting for him to speak.

Antonio sighed and sat down. He spoke in a serious tone "Look. I don't have long to talk to you. Francesco is in a meeting that finishes in fifteen minutes. He would slaughter me if he finds me here since he is in a very bad mood right now, no thanks to you. I just came over here to plead with you to watch how you behave around Francesco. I am here out of concern for Costanzo. He is like my brother. We were raised together. He saved my life in the past many times. I owe him so much. I really want you to try not to put him in danger like how you did today. Do you have any idea what Francesco could have done to Costanzo if I hadn't arrived at the mansion when I did. I was lucky I was across the street from that restaurant you were eating with Francesco and I saw him through the window when you and him left the restaurant. I spotted how murderous he looked. So I rushed back here. When I went to his office ....... it was horrific what was happening...... I literally had to drag Costanzo out of Francesco's office with every negotiating trick I knew. Years of learning my father's communication skills paid off. I was lucky I managed to convince Francesco that Costanzo had different intentions even if he had anything to do with you pleading to him about setting your brother free. Once I got Costanzo to a guest room, I had to go back to Francesco again and assured him some more. I have never been so nervous in my life like how I was today in his office. I nearly got myself into hot water too by insisting too much about Costanzo's innocence. You don't understand how easy it is to wind up Francesco. He shoots and then asks what's the crime. Please be careful around Francesco. Can you promise me that?"