5. Getting to Know Them

Adele was stuffing her plate from the feast table of the marquee in a far corner away from her table for the second time. Her brother, Angelo alongside Francesco and Costanzo had already helped themselves and now were seated. It just took her much longer to decide what to pick to eat. There were a varieties of food she had never seen before. they were mainly home made local delicacies.

Suddenly a voice cleared next to her. She turned and saw a girl standing next to her who looked nervous. She spoke is almost a whisper "Can I talk to you away from the crowed?"

Adele nodded "Sure. Lets stand in the corner."

As Adele and the girl picked a spot away from ear shot of anyone else, the girl spoke "Hey. I am Lilly. I am the head of the Dance Club at the town's High School. I was wondering if you would like to join. I just thought I ask you before you start school since I heard the head cheerleaders and the Drama Club presidents were discussing offering you to join them. We don't have as many members as them and would really use a member like you."

Adele spoke shyly "I am not very good at dancing though. I am sorry but I have to say no."

Lily smiled "We train alot so you will be fine. Have a think about it. You can come and see us in training one day. That may change your mind. Please promise you will think about it."

Adele smiled "Sure. i will." Just as Adele was trying to side step her and leave, Lily spoke quickly "Wait. There is something else I wanted to talk to you about. You see those two boys sitting at your table. You must keep away from them. The guy they live with is very dangerous. My mother showed those two boys to me this morning in one of the shops when Piero Rosario had brought them to the towns market. My mother told me that the two boys are residents in Piero Rosario's house and I must keep away from them. Father Rwan assured many people today in the town hall that these kids are no danger to anyone and are Piero Rosario's nephews and we must look out for them. But he is the only one who thinks that. The fact that these boys are related to that man makes things worse. You see, there are rumours that Piero Rosario is a mob boss and a high class criminal. Anyone who is associated with him whether they are his family or work with him or friends with him or are enemies with him we must keep away from. Look around you. No one even looks at them. Its not safe to get involved with them. Anyone who lives at the Rosario ranch should be avoided at all costs. Take my advice. Find an excuse and get away from them."

Adele frowned "Come on. You don't really believe your mother do you? Mob bosses are mainly in New York and big cities. This town is so small. Why would a mob boss live here? Besides even if your mother is right, I don't see how I should keep away from them. You say the guy who they live with is a criminal. Not them. Anyways, its nice meeting you. I have to get back to my table. I will see you in school."

Before Lily could say anything else, Adele sidestepped her and walked to her table. As she sat down Francesco's voice startled her "Was that girl bothering you? I saw how she took you to a corner. After she spoke, you didn't seem very happy. Tell me her name. What was her business with you?"

Adele did not like the sound of Francesco's tone at all. He sounded so demanding, cold and aggressive. Why was he making such a big deal about her just talking to another girl. Before she could respond Angelo chuckled " I am so glad you are protective of my sister but you don't need to interrogate my sister over something so insignificant. Girls are no threat to her. Who cares what she wanted? Give it a rest."

Francesco persisted " I asked Adele the question. Not you Angelo. Next time I ask your sister a question, don't interrupt me."

Angelo was looking at Francesco with a what the hell look. He was too shocked to speak from the deadly look that Francesco was giving him.