15. Arrival In New York

The plane ride on the Rosario private jet to New York must have been the longest period of silence Adele had ever endured in her life. Most of the guards were not there since they had made the 10 hour trip to New York by car but despite the few guards being present on the plane, the fearful atmosphere was not totally diminished. Francesco's father's presence was the scariest. Him sitting only a meter away from Adele and Francesco on the plane had made Adele look out her window the whole time as she was being held tightly by Francesco. Any talk that happened on the plane was very short and by whispering in a very low voice. She didn't dare even glance at her parents and Angelo who were sitting a few meters behind her. They were tight lipped too. Days of captivity had made them fearful for their lives.

They finally arrived in the airport in New York after enduring hours of uncomfortable silence. After landing, Adele was lead by two guards to one of the black cars with tinted windows with Costanzo and Francesco. She turned to Francesco worriedly "My family. Where are they taking them?"

Francesco spoke "Don't worry. They are coming to the mansion too. Just in a separate car. They won't be harmed. They are my uncle's prisoners and the faith my uncle has decided for them can't be changed by my father."

They got in the car and two guards were sitting at the front and Francesco, Costanzo and Adele sat at the back. As the car ride started minutes passed in silence but Adele thought it would stay that way but Francesco whispered "You are going to love it in New York. There is so much to do in this big city unlike that small town. I am so happy to have left. I hated the people there."

Costanzo spoke "Have you forgotten you met Adele in that small town. So it couldn't be so bad there if you got a girl for yourself from that place."

Francesco narrowed his eyes at him "Don't think you will get away with your wise jokes. Mind your own business."

Costanzo sighed " I am only stating the facts. That is all. You know I am right. I thought I was never going to miss our uncle's ranch but now that we are on our way back to new York and it seems so real that's its all over, i am feeling blue. I can't believe its all over."

Francesco spoke "What are you talking about? Uncle will make it. He won't die. The doctors think he will wake up from his coma in no time once he gets transferred to a hospital in New York. Father has recruited one of the top five doctors in the field of brain injury in the whole world to take care of our uncle so don't you dare talk like this as though we won't see our uncle in that ranch again."

Costanzo sounded saddened "I wasn't talking about him dying. I was referring to us getting sent to that boarding school. He may send us sooner since all the ..... other problems he was taking care of are now sorted really. When we get sent to that place, that's like nine months a year. We would be most likely sent to New York for the summer months and Christmas. It would be upto our father where we spend our holidays so don't count on that. So, I don't think we would be seeing our uncle Piero's ranch again. Think about it. Uncle Piero was always the one visiting us, not the other way round. So ..... try to get father to give you some goodbye time. Lets face it, it may be the last time you will be seeing Adele for a while ."

Francesco was looking at Costanzo with suspicion "Where does this speech come from? Since when do you care about the future? Stop trying to make out things to be worse than they really are."

Once they arrived at the mansion and they got off the car, Adele gasped "This is so .... enormous. Is this your house? really?"

Francesco smiled "It is. Of course. Lets go. You are staying in my room. The guards will bring our suitcases to our rooms. And before you ask about your family, lets make it clear. The arrangements are the same. You stay with me and your parents and Angelo stay in a cabin in the compound's grounds. they will be comfortable if that's what you are worried about. Come on then. Follow me."