Why Are Mixers A Thing?

Venus smiled sweetly at us and I forced myself not to gag.

"Well, now it's time to mingle! Hope you enjoy talking to others, since that's what you're going to be doing today! By tonight, one of you of each gender will be asked to leave. This depends on who they group likes and who they don't. It will be an executive decision, since obviously there should be a lot more boys going home than girls since Hazel is only one person. She can ask the other boys to pick some people for her to keep them longer if she wishes and that is how we will be going one at a time."

I sighed and resigned myself to making them send me home. Then my mom's disapproving face appeared, chastising me for not taking an opportunity when I saw it and not doing my best.

Ugh. Stupid guilty conscience.

"Now, start talking!" Venus waved her hands at the band, shooing them into the group of mostly awed teens.

Leo was the first to move, hopping off the small step they were standing on, winking at the girls nearby and making a 'come here' gesture. "Well here's your chance ladies!" He was nearly mobbed. Apparently playing a guitar makes people disregard your physical appearance. Or maybe they really thought he looked good.

I rolled my eyes and slipped into the back of the room, leaning against the wall in the shadows. I was not talking to people unless I absolutely had to.

"Hello." A quiet voice said next to me. I flinched and brought a hand up to punch whoever had managed to sneak up on me.

Pale fingers stopped my fist. Glancing at their owner, I recognized the drummer, Nico, looking at me with a ghost of a smirk on his face. Ironic, he was probably a son of Hades after all.

"Sorry for startling you. I saw you over here and shadow traveled over to talk to you."

"Son of Pluto?" I asked, just to be sure.

"Hades. What are you doing over here? Most girls would be fawning over Leo or shooting glances at Jason right now."

I raised an eyebrow. "I'm not most girls. And if you expect me to freak out that you're 'the Nico di Angelo from The Rattling Skulls' and blah blah blah then get lost."

He stared at me for a second, then said something that was completely surprising.

"Thanks."

"What?"

"I hate being in the spotlight. Thanks for being a normal person. What's your name by the way? I'm-"

I quirked a bit of a smile. "I do know your name. My sister is obsessed with you guys and you did introduce yourself a moment ago."

He flushed slightly. "Right. So what is your name?"

"Reyna. Reyna Ramírez-Arellano."

"Nice to meet you, Reyna."

"Surprisingly, you too. I'm not one for freaking out about famous people."

He smiled. "And thank the gods for that."

I looked at him. "I judge people by their personality. Not their parentage or their job."

Nico looked surprised, then glanced around the room. "Okay, so I know that none of you are allowed to leave and all, but do you wanna go somewhere else? Somewhere we can talk where Aphrodite isn't stalking everyone?"

I frowned. "If you think-"

"I'm not hitting on you, I promise."

"Then why-"

"You're the first person to act like I'm just another person, rather than a weirdo or someone famous."

I nodded, then scowled at him. "Stop cutting me off!"

Nico shrugged. "No promises."

I rolled my eyes. "You serious about getting out of here, then?"

"Yes. Want to go somewhere? I don't care where. It could be a café, or a clothing store for all I care."

I thought about it. "Can you take me to the nearest sandwich shop? I'm rather hungry, I didn't eat lunch."

Nico held out a hand. "Sure thing."

My tanned fingers twisted into his pale ones and we disappeared into the shadows.

[A/N NO THIS IS NOT REYNICO I BROMANCE THEM EVEN IF REYNA'S A GIRL IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!]