A Little Change

I glanced at the clock and scowled. Nico was almost an hour late.

We spar almost every day, and the one day I really need to blow off steam, he doesn't show up!

Why did I need this so bad? 

Annabeth.

"Hey, he's not showing." A guy's voice said from behind me.

"Really? Never would have guessed." I snapped, turning. "What do- oh, hi Percy."

He smiled at me. "Nico got sucked into a 'bro time' session with Jason and Leo. He asked me to come work out with you."

"Great." I muttered. "How good are you."

Percy walked over to the wall and picked a leaf-bladed bronze sword. "Why don't you find out?"

I raised an eyebrow.

Noticing my expression, he chuckled. "Go on, come at me." 

I rolled my eyes and lunged forward, starting with a slash at his knees.

Percy's blade clanged against mine, stopping my swing cold.

Using the rebound, I back-swung at his neck.

Percy ducked and I saw his torso twist as he turned to deliver a kick to my side. Leaping back, I grabbed his foot and threw it back the way it came.

Percy lost his balance and fell backward. He scrambled to his feet and I pounced forward, stabbing my sword at his stomach.

The gold blade glanced off the bronze one and Percy pressed inside my reach, attacking viciously.

I blocked his light-speed attacks and tried to respond with my own, but couldn't land a blow. Every time I got close, he either managed to deflect it or move out of the way.

To my immense satisfaction, Percy didn't touch me either. We went back and forth, at a skill-level stalemate.

I finally resorted to fighting dirty. Slipping inside Percy's arm-length, I kneed him between the legs.

He let out a yelp and hunched over, just in time to have his head connect with my knee.

I smirked as he fell backwards, hitting the mat and laying there, spread-eagled.

His nose was bleeding, but he made no effort to staunch it. Looking closer, I realized he wasn't moving at all, aside from his breathing.

"Percy?"

He didn't respond and I felt a tiny flutter of fear. 

"Percy, are you okay?"

Still no response. I moved forward and crouched next to him. He didn't move.

I stood. "I'll go get someone. Stay there...I guess it really isn't an option for you, but-" I started to turn.

Percy leapt from the floor in a sudden burst of movement. He tackled me and pinning me to the ground with his body.

"Never turn your back unless you are absolutely sure the fight won't continue." He said.

"I'll take that into consideration." I grunted, pulling my legs up under him and pushing him off.

Percy lifted himself into a crouch as I rolled over and pushed myself off the ground.

Our swords lay discarded off to the side as we circled, eyeing each other.

Percy made his move first, feinting to the left, then swinging his fist at my face.

I sidestepped and punched him in the stomach. Percy twisted sideways at the last moment and my fist grazed his rib.

Percy backed up, shaking his head slightly. His nose was bleeding profusely and I frowned. 

"Are you okay?"

"'M fine." Percy pressed his fingers to his nose for a few moments. I took advantage and dropped into a crouch, kicking his feet out from under him.

He almost hit his nose again when he went down.

I dropped on top of him, pushing my knee into his stomach so he couldn't breathe.

"Yield."

"No!" Percy gasped, trying to push me off.

I leaned harder on his stomach. "Do it so we can get you some medical help. You're bleeding pretty bad."

"No Styx, Sherlock! You broke my nose!" Percy grunted, flopping flat on the ground and plugging his nose. "I yield."

"Thank you!" I got off of him and helped him up.

We turned to look at the mess we'd made. The wrestling mat we had been fighting on was covered in Percy's blood. Our swords lay off to the side.

"Well this will be fun to clean up." I muttered.

"It won't be that hard." Percy waved me off and frowned at the blood. It slowly began to pool, then floated to the garbage can in the corner.

"That's handy." I commented.

"Yeah." Percy grunted, his voice distorted by the way he was holding his nose closed.

I turned, picked up the swords, and started towards the wall.

Halfway there, I hit a slippery patch on the mat and fell backwards.

A strong arm broke my fall.

"Thanks." I said. Percy's face was inches from mine as he held me up.

"No problem." He muttered.

We stared at each other for a few moments, then Percy stood me on my feet and turned abruptly. 

"I should get this checked out." He gestured to his nose.

"Yeah, you probably should." I murmured.

"See you around."

"Yeah, see you."

[A/N Percy's infamous nosebleeds]