The Passing of an Era

If my father could see me now.

I pulled off the Praetor's cape draping from my shoulders. It would not help me in this fight, only get in my way.

Minerva handed her father a plain spear. He looked at me, eyes narrowed. "A satisfactory weapon, child of Bellona?"

I glanced it over and nodded.

Percy took the cape and folded it. "I'll hold onto it for you."

"Thanks. Aurum, Argentum, down." I ordered the dogs.

The two laid on the floor, metal ears up and alert. I noted with a small smile that they were completely focused on Jupiter.

My first thought was to have Mars officiate, but he stood in Jupiter's favor and I had no doubts that he would somehow try to twist it in his father's favor.

"Lady Minerva."

She looked up, her face twisting a little in annoyance.

Oh. Of course.

Rome had stripped Minerva of her powers that she had when she was in her Greek form. Maybe unfortunately for me, many of them had gone to my mother, who was only a minor Greek goddess.

She wasn't fantastically powerful as a Roman, but it was better.

I walked over to her. "My apologies... Athena."

Her eyebrows shot up. "Can you tell the difference?"

"In all honesty, no, I've never seen your Roman form, but you seemed upset when I called you Minerva."

"Rome disgraced me." She crossed her arms. "They destroyed my honor."

"I apologize." I offered her half of a bow. "Would you be willing to officiate this fight? I trust you more than Mars."

"Probably a good idea." She nodded, looking over at her half-brother. "I will."

"Thank you... I will work to restore your honor in Rome."

Min- no, Athena, looked surprised.

"Thank you as well," she said after a moment.

I drew my sword as I walked back to Jupiter. The survivors of the fight had made a large circle, which I stepped into, inspecting my blade. 

Athena joined us in the circle. "This is going to be a weapon-play only fight. No powers, Father. Reyna, if you have any, you are not permitted to use them."

I nodded, re-sheathing my sword.

Jupiter glared at me.

"Father, are you ready to begin?" Athena asked, moving between them with her own spear out.

"Yes." He snapped.

"Reyna, daughter of Bellona, are you ready to begin?"

I nodded.

"Clean fight, you will go until one surrenders or one falls." She stepped aside, so only her spear was between them.

I placed my hand on my sword handle. "Yes, my lady."

"Three, two, one, begin!"

Jupiter leapt at me as soon as Athena moved. He seemed intent on ending this as quickly as possible.

I was going to disappoint him. I dove sideways as I drew my sword, whirling to meet his attack as he turned on me.

Sparks flew.

I know people say that when they're talking about sword fights, it's the cliché thing to say all the time.

This was literal. Red and gold light flying off of our blades.

"You go, Rey!"

I rolled my eyes. "Jackson, shut up and stop distracting me."

His laugh rolled over the shouts of the crowd as we clashed back and forth.

I ducked a lethal jab from the massive spear, then slipped inside Jupiter's reach and slashed at his stomach.

Golden ichor hit the marble floor. The previous cheers went silent.

Landing a hit on a god was impressive in most cases.

Landing two in the same span I would guess is more impressive.

"Impudent little-" He began to curse in a language that I assumed was Ancient Greek.

"Do something about it, you massive glow-bug."

I heard Percy whisper something about "that's my girl!"

And so it went. Blades flashing and blood and ichor spilling. Words almost as sharp and cutting as the weapons.

As I backpedaled to avoid a lunge from the king of the gods, I slipped on ichor and fell backwards.

My head cracked on the marble and I saw stars. As I came to, I saw Jupiter's spear descending on me.

Half a second to move.

I hurled myself sideways, but felt the spearhead slice my side open. I gritted my teeth and pulled myself to my feet again.

"Do you yield?" Athena asked.

"No." I grabbed my sword off the sword.

Jupiter attacked again.

The spear opened my shoulder, almost to the bone.

Again the question was asked.

"No."

I refused to give up. I refused to lose this, and lose Percy with it.

Instead I looked for a chance.

I got it several attacks later, when Jupiter lost his balance on the bloody floor.

I honestly couldn't remember how I disarmed him. But the fight ended with Jupiter on the floor, an Imperial Gold sword at his neck.

"Yield."

"No."

I dug the point into his neck lightly. "Yield!"

He gritted his teeth. "No."

"Yield or there will be an open throne on Olympus."

"Just yield, Zeus!" Juno sounded exasperated.

He finally gritted it out. "I yield."

I staggered away from him, the world going dark.

Arms wrapped around me and the voice from the hospital, the voice of the man I was ready to give everything for whispered in my ear.

"I've got you, my Queen. I've got you."