The Unnamed Watcher

Annabeth berated me the whole way to the mixer.

"Why would you wear something so ugly? Seriously, that jacket belongs in a pasture."

"I'm surprised you know where leather comes from." I muttered.

"You know, if you don't try you can get out of here as soon as possible."

To anyone else, she would have sounded like she was actually trying to help. But I knew better.

"Am I intimidating you, Annabeth?" I turned on her and stepped forward until I was chest to chest with the daughter of Athena. A small pang of triumph ran through me at the fact that even with her stupid heels, she was an inch shorter than me.

"N-No!" Despite her best attempts, Annabeth's voice quivered slightly.

Instead of threatening her, as she was probably expecting me to, I turned and walked away.

Reaching the foyer, I took a deep breath and turned the handles to the French doors, expecting all eyes to be on me as soon as they opened.

It was the exact opposite. The only people who noticed me walk into the room were Nico and a few girls.

"Oh. My. Gods. Reyna, you look so good!" Silena squealed as I made my way over to her.

"Thanks, I guess. It definitely wasn't my idea."

"Well, you look fantastic." Lou Ellen commented. She had opted for a style similar to mine, with a short green dress that had a leather vest over it. "And you've already gotten somebody's attention."

I frowned, but before I could ask who she was talking about, someone tapped my shoulder.

"Reyna." I turned to face the son of Hades.

"Oh, Nico. Hi."

Behind me, I felt someone tense up. It could only be Bianca.

"Would you like a drink?" Nico asked politely.

"Sure." I shrugged. He offered his arm and I took it.

"Ever the gentleman." I teased once we were out of earshot.

"Oh, shut up. I just want to hang out with someone I actually know."

I nodded. "So what's the point of this whole thing?"

"It's similar to the one we skipped. It helps the contestants and us bachelors get more acquainted. It's also supposed to get the bachelors ready for tonight, for the first elimination." He handed me a cup of punch from the table. I sniffed it experimentally and scowled.

"This has alcohol in it." Nico's eyes widened.

"Oh, sorry, I grabbed from the wrong side of the table. Aphrodite seemed to think that putting teens and alcohol together would be a good idea. Jason and I convinced her to get some regular punch."

He took the cup from my hands and grabbed one from the other end of the table. "Try this."

I took a cautious sip. "Yep, alcohol free."

"Okay, great." Nico smiled. "Sorry about that."

I shook my head. "It's fine."

Behind me I heard the glass doors open and a voice exclaim with false enthusiasm, "So sorry we're late!"

I rolled my eyes and made a gagging noise.

"I'll second that." Nico muttered, looking towards the door with distaste.

Annabeth and Drew stood in the doorway, looking like they had gotten lost on their way to prom. Annabeth's blue dress had an obnoxious slit up the left leg and Drew was in a full length pink and white strapless dress that matched the thick makeup caked on her face. Her hair was swept up in an updo and her heels, though we couldn't see them, were obviously high and probably were as glitzy as her jewelry.

"Who are they trying to impress?" I asked. "Surely they can't be after Leo?"

Nico shrugged. "I think this is more a popularity contest for them. Those who get the farthest get the guy or girl, and they want to be able to dump their man weeks after the competition is over. Girls like that are always aiming higher."

I looked at him. "How do you know this?"

Nico smirked. "My sister is a contestant, remember? She's good at reading people."

"Right. Bianca seems to be taking offense to the fact that I've been hanging out with you so much. Even though it's only been a day."

He smiled. "She's my older sister. It's kind of automatic."

I nodded, then tensed slightly as I felt eyes on me. "I'll be right back." I held up my empty punch cup, explaining.

"I could throw it out if you want." Nico offered.

"Thanks." I stacked mine in his and he walked off. Slowly, I turned around, alert but not wanting to seem so.

In the corner stood the man from the day before. His eyes were visible this time as he looked around the room, writing things down on a sheet of paper.

His gaze flicked to me for a moment and I froze, hoping he didn't notice I was staring at him.

His sea-green eyes passed over me and he scribbled something else down before walking off.

I pivoted to see what he was looking at. Hazel, one of the band members, was talking to a few guys. The man had been looking right at her.

Who was this guy?

[A/N alright, the outfits in the picture go Annabeth, Silena, Rachel, Drew, Calypso, Pheobe (I made a style up for her since she's not a huntress and idk what she would wear if she wasn't), Lou Ellen, Gwen and Bianca]