I Try

The next day, Venus told us that we would be filming another episode that night.

"Even with an unfinished band?" Annabeth asked with a frown.

Venus didn't answer her. My heart lifted a little. If Percy had really gone to talk with Nico, that was probably what this was about.

"You have to report to your stylists at 5. They've been given a theme for your outfits, and you aren't allowed to change it at all." Venus looked pointedly at me.

I ignored her in favor of leaning over to Lou and whispering, "What do you think is going on?"

"No clue." She whispered back. I glanced at Gwen, who made eye contact with me and shrugged.

"You will be on camera, but not very much. Tonight we'll be having a special performance. You may leave now."

I left quickly and began to scour the large house for Percy. I didn't know if he would give me answers, but I could always try.

"Reyna!" A voice called behind me.

I whirled to see Nico sticking his head out of a door I had just walked past.

"Looking for Percy?"

"Yeah. Is this whole thing what I think it is?"

"Can't tell you that." He grinned. "I do know that Percy's upstairs though. Like, on the roof."

"Thanks." I went to the end of the hall and turned to go up the stairs.

About halfway up, I heard footsteps above me.

"Oh, hey. I was just looking for you." Percy smiled as he came around the corner.

"Same here." I smiled back at him.

"You want to go upstairs? It's pretty windy out there, but it's warm."

I shrugged. "Sure."

Percy led the way up the stairs. He pushed the door open and I was immediately buffeted by a gust of wind that ripped at my clothes and whipped my braid off of my shoulder.

"Good gods, I didn't think it would be that strong." I muttered.

We marched out into the wildness and Percy slammed the door closed. Rounding the small part of the building that stuck farther up, we sat down where the wind wasn't able to reach us.

"So I talked to Nico." Percy said.

"Is that what the episode is about tonight?"

"Can't tell you that." He grinned. "You'll just have to find out."

"Nico told me the same thing. You guys are such jerks." I punched his shoulder lightly.

"But you're friends with us." Percy teased back, rubbing his shoulder.

"I don't know why." I told him, acting exasperated. "All you two do is lead me in circles and give me answers that don't satisfy anything."

Percy laughed. "We must be so horrible."

"You are."

------------------------------------

"Sorry, Reyna, you have to wear the shirt." Juniper said apologetically.

"Why?" I glared distastefully at the 'Rattling Skulls' t-shirt that my stylist was holding out to me.

"Venus's orders. She's really putting her foot down this time."

I glared at it again, then took it with a groan. "Can I cover it up?"

"Nope. But she did say you could wear something with it of your choice." Juniper offered.

"I want the leather jacket I wore for the first thing."

"You got it." Juniper delved into the racks behind her, disappearing as she searched for the jacket. "I put it off to the side, I know I did." Her voice floated to me.

"Why?"

"If a contestant goes home they get to pick one piece of clothing from their wardrobe to take with them. I assumed that you would like the jacket, so I kept it separate in case you were voted off."

I opened my mouth to ask if she had thought I was going to get voted off early, then stopped and closed it. I didn't want to know.

"Here it is!" Juniper reappeared with the jacket and handed it to me.

"Thanks."

"You look good then. I'll pull your hair into a high ponytail for you so it's off your back. You're going to be sweaty by the end of the night."

I frowned. "Why?"

"I'm not allowed to tell." She smiled and pulled me over to the chair so she could fix my hair.

I groaned. "No one is apparently."

"You'll see soon enough, I promise. Now go." Juniper gently pushed me out of the chair, having finished pulling my hair up.

-------------------------------

There were no standing arrangements when I got upstairs. Most of the contestants were wearing the same shirt I was.

A stage was set up on the one side of the room, with the typical setup. A bass guitar, a regular electric, a keyboard and a drum set. Each guitar had a microphone by it and there was a third microphone out in the front.

"Alright, everyone get in the marked spot." Venus ushered us over to a large taped off section in front of the stage.

"Three, two, one, rolling." Someone said behind the cameras. The entire room went black and I snorted quietly as a couple girls squeaked in surprise.

There was a moment of shuffling noise on the stage, then light tapping on the cymbal of the drum set.

The bass came in, the guitar coming a few seconds after.

Jason started singing, but the lights were still down.

"Every step I took with you was like I walked a field of broken glass,

I tried to help, I wanted to make feelings between us that would last.

But you didn't want that, you didn't like that, you wanted to fly away,

And when you did, somebody else just floated down to take your place."

The lights still hadn't come up, but we could see silhouettes. Six of them.

Percy had to be up there.

Just as I realized this, the backup vocals came in. Instantly I felt that pull. A liquid sound mixed with Piper's sweet voice, creating harmonies that gave everyone in the room shivers.

The lights went up, and started flashing like at a normal concert. My eyes never strayed from the familiar figure playing bass.

Percy looked completely at home on the stage. His instrument was a dark blue and he stood confidently as he belted out the lyrics to the chorus with Piper and Jason.

"Circling back, like a hawk would attack,

You always call me when I'm at home!

Your claws are out, starting fights all around,

But I'll tell you now, leave my sparrow girl alone!"

They sounded better than I'd ever heard them.

They finished the song and Cupid took the microphone from Jason.

"Today you're seeing the new Rattling Skulls! We've finally found a new member since Thalia left! This is Percy Jackson."

The contestants began to cheer, but I was more focused on the crash of thunder that echoed outside.

[A/N If you guys want, I can write out the lyrics to the whole song. It's called Sparrow Girl]