An Unorthodox Situation

"Are you absolutely sure about this, Rey?"

I sighed and looked up at Percy. "I am. I've told you that."

He frowned and walked over. "You're putting your life in danger for me. I just want you to know you can step away if you'd like."

I stood up and took his hands. "I will not stand down until I have Jupiter's sworn word that you will be left alone."

"Sweetheart, you don't-"

I stopped him with a brief kiss. "Don't pull that on me."

He offered a crooked smile. "I have no clue what you're talking about."

"You only ever pull out pet names when you're trying to convince me of something."

"Is it working?" Percy tilted his head with a chuckle.

"No." I rolled my eyes and went over to the armor sitting on my bed. "I've made my decision. I just want you to promise me that you'll stay away from Olympus."

"Reyna-"

I turned and crossed my arms. "Promise me."

He sighed. "I'll go straight back to my mom's. I swear it on the Styx." Thunder rumbled.

"Thank you, Percy."

"Of course. Do you need any help with anything before I go?"

"I don't think so." I checked the time. "I've got an hour before we have to be there. I'm going to start rounding people up soon."

"Thank you, Reyna." Percy kissed me again. "I don't like that you're putting yourself in danger for me, but thank you anyway."

"You would do the same for me. Now get going, I want to be confident that you're at home before we get to Olympus."

He laughed and nodded, then gathered his things.

"Sorry-" As he walked out the door he sidestepped to let two teenagers step past. They were both dressed in traditional Roman armor with long purple capes.

"Praetors." I recognized the garb and dipped my head respectfully.

"Reyna Ramírez-Arellano." The first girl said quietly. "I am Hannah Dolan. This is Melanie Sable."

"How can I help you?" I finished putting my armor on.

"We came to speak with you about your plans once this is all over."

"What do you mean?" I glanced up at Melanie. She glanced at Hannah before continuing.

"At Camp Jupiter, fighting for something one has invested in greatly is held in very high regard. High enough to bypass certain ranks that must be achieved."

"Praetor, what are you suggesting?"

"I'm retiring soon." Hannah spoke up.

"You can't be much older than I am." I frowned at her.

She smiled. "I'm enrolling in New Rome's college next semester."

"Oh...." Suddenly the pieces clicked and I looked at the two of them in surprise. "You want me to be Praetor?"

Hannah nodded. "We've been watching you in this competition. Not you specifically, at first, but not long in you had our full attention."

"Why?" I asked.

What did they see in me that was worth bypassing all protocols in a camp where rules were everything? That told them I would be a good leader over hundreds of kids, probably as scared of the world as I was?

"Is it my parentage?"

Melanie chuckled. "While that does help your case, it isn't the primary reason. You're strong willed, enough to turn the most stubborn to your cause. Don't think we didn't see that even Annabeth Chase went along with your plan. Apart from you, she is the most stubborn on this competition."

I nodded slowly. "It took a bit of convincing. She understood though... I think anyway."

"You have a leader's stance, the mindset of a woman who knows what she wants and isn't afraid to go after it."

"Thank you." I said quietly after a moment.

Melanie nodded and gestured to Hannah. "Clearly, we don't expect you to make this decision immediately. But as you're about to go to war, it seems, against the gods themselves, we have made the decision to temporarily promote you to Praetor of New Rome."

"That's- that's not allowed!" I stared at her.

"We've decided it's necessary." Hannah said. "If you survive and do not wish to take this role, we will simply demote you."

"I- okay." I didn't know what else to say.

"Good luck, Praetor." They both bowed to me. Hannah took off her cape and fastened it to my shoulders.

"You might want to practice walking and fighting in that." She suggested.

I began to pace as soon as they left the room.

"Now that's my girl."

I whirled, the cape catching around my ankles and temporarily freezing me on the spot. "Mother?"