Chapter 3- The Rose

There were a couple possible situations going through my head of why he left.

1. He suddenly had to poop really bad and didn't want to do it in his pants.

2. He wanted to go get me an engagement ring so that our first kiss was when we were married.

3. He just didn't like me that way.

I still waited though, for probably a hour, but he never came back, so I left.

It was about 6pm now, and I started walking back to the parking lot. He and his car were gone, so I walked to the nearest bus stop and hopped on the bus when it arrived.

~~~~~

I didn't see him at school until before 8th period, where he ignored me as I walked past him, which he did until Friday, when I stood up to him, well I stood in front of him.

"Why did you do that to me?" I ask, looking into his broken hazel eyes. He looked high.

"I'm trying to get to class," he muttered.

"Not until you talk to me," I replied.

"After class," he said, and walked past me.

After class, there he is, outside the door, waiting for me. We walk into the nearest janitors closest.

"So? Why?" I ask.

"You're a freshmen, I'm like, four years older than you, it felt... wrong," he answered, and I could see it in his eyes that he was telling the truth.

"Do you think I care how frickin' old you are? I like you, okay? And no one can stop me," I say.

"Kelsey... For me... I do care!" He yelled.

"Well you shouldn't because I know you feel the same," I reply, and I grab his hand.

"Kelsey..." he runs out after that, and I just pray he felt the same spark I did.

~~~~~

The next day is obviously Saturday, but anyways, I decide to take a bus down to his "special place" to see if he's there, and he is.

"Hey," I say as I walk up to him. It's awfully dark and cold.

"What are you doing here?" He asked. He's literally about to climb up the rusty ladder.

"I wanted to see you, I knew you'd be here," I answer.

"Kelsey, you need to stop," he mumbles as he works his way up to the top. I walk over to the ladder.

"James, please, caring what other people think is never going to get you anywhere. We had so much fun after the meeting, and I know you feel the same because of the way you always smile at me," I state. I'm about to climb up the ladder but he pulls it up.

"You've known me for not even a week, and you want to date me?" He asks.

"I just want to try, okay? We don't have to make it official, just give me a chance, please," I beg, and he lets down the ladder so I climb up.

"Tomorrow, be here at 6, okay?" He states. I smile at him and he can't help but smile back.

~~~~~

I left not too long after that since I had plans with Cora. I didn't tell her anything about Saturday in fear that I might jinx it. Eventually though, the time came. I looked in the mirror before I left. I was wearing a casual, purple dress with some sandals. I had curled my dirty blonde hair. The only makeup on my face was foundation and a little mascara, but I felt really confident.

I showed up to the tree house at exactly six. Everything looked exactly the same until I was actually inside the tree house. There was a little table with very shorts leg in the center and a cushion on each side. There were now white Christmas lights among every wall. James sat by the tiny table holding a rose.

"You look beautiful," he says and walks over to me. He hands me the rose and it scratches my finger, but since he didn't notice it I hide the fact that it did.

"You didn't have to do all this, I would have be fine with just sitting and talking to you," I reply. I sit on a cushion and set the rose down next to me.

"I just bought Chinese food, nothing too special but I remember you saying that you had always wanted to go to the new Chinese restaurant, so I brought it to you," James states.

"That's so sweet," I mutter. As we begin to eat, I notice how nervous he seems.

"Kelsey... You were right. I do like you, it just scares me, okay? I've never liked the way people have treated other people, and I don't want to deal with it by myself," he explains, and I grab his hand.

"It's okay, we don't have to tell anyone if you want," I reply. He begins to lean in again but suddenly he notices something that makes him pull back.

"Kelsey, are you bleeding?" He asks. I look down at my hand to see the minor scratch is actually a cut. It doesn't hurt but there is blood everywhere.

"I'm okay, I'm sure a bandaid will cover it, can you hand me my purse?" I ask. He hands it to me and I pull out my mini first aid kit. I have him put the bandaid on my finger and then I clean up the blood with a napkin.

"Thanks," I mumble.

The rest of the night is peaceful. We get to know each other a lot more, but he never leans in again, which saddens me because I want to kiss him before anything bad can happen to break us apart.