Chapter 16- Just Pretend

On Monday, I walk into school and head straight to my locker. For some reason, it smells even more like sweaty boys trying to cover it up with ax today so I try to speed up. As I turn around, I accidentally hit someone with my textbook.

"Woah!" The person says, and immediately I know who it is, it's Thalia. Her dirty blonde hair is in loose curls and her olive complexion looks more radiant then ever. Her dark brown eyes look even bolder with her intensely long eyelashes, which I can't figure out if they're real or not. She has on a pair of light blue mom jeans and a burgundy, v neck. She looks different in a way, but like a good different. I look to her right and see Cora. Her light brown hair is pulled up into a high bun. Her face looks pore less and she is wearing bright red lipstick. She's wearing a romper that matches the lipstick she is wearing and has that on with gold sandals. I feel so gross compared to them. I just have my hair in a bun only because it's greasy and it helps hide dandruff the best. I'm wearing a black shirt and light grey joggers with a pair of Bear Paws. I don't have on any makeup, making my dark circles super visible.

"Sorry," I mutter.

"Look, Kelsey, we heard that you and James broke up. I'm sorry, even though I don't know what happened, I really am sorry, we both are. So, we just wanted to apologize for not being there, and hopefully you can forgive us," Cora explains.

"Of course! You two are my best friends, of course I'm going to forgive you," I reply, smiling at them, and then we all hug.

"So are you busy this weekend?" Thalia asked.

"Nope, what did you want to do?" I asked.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

On Friday, after school, Thalia's mom comes to pick me up.  Thalia, Cora, and I were all going to the mall.

"By the way, I go by Tay now, it's more unique," Thalia says the second I open the car door.

"Okay," Cora and I say in unison. I hop in, and we're on our way.

Ten minutes later, we arrive. As soon as we get there, we all go straight to the bathroom, and into a handicap stall.

"What are we doing?" I ask.

"Sh!" Cora loudly whispers, and a little bit of spit hits my face. I wipe it off, and rub my hand on my jeans.

"Okay, what's the code?" Thalia asks.

"If someone looks suspicious, call me and say "there's nothing that good here" if I'm not by you. If you need help getting something, say "do you like this? I can't decide." I think that's all we need so far," Cora explains.

"Huh? What's going on?" I ask.

"You have to have a plan unless you want to get caught," Thalia mumbles.

"Caught what?" I whisper.

"Shoplifting, duh, why do you think we have no money?" Cora states.

"Oh, if you need money, I have plenty, my dad said I could spend as much as I wanted," I state.

"Oh, sweetie, you really are the same. I thought James might have... changed you, but I guess that we have to do the job our self," Thalia replies, and then we all walk out of the stall. 

We walk into the first store, Forever 21. My heart begins pounding out of my chest, they were just kidding, right? This isn't actually happening, right?

I look around the store and pick up a few shirts that I think are cute. Once I have found six or seven, I head to the dressing room. I begin trying each one on, when I feel my phone buzz.

Thalia- hey! I'm going to pass you a tank top, mind sneaking it under your sweatshirt? Thanks xx

I delete the text and pretend I never saw it. I see her hand and the shirt under the curtain when I look down but I ignore it, and just hurry out of there. I put everything back on the rack and walk out of the store, I look back and see Cora running after me.

"Hey, what's wrong?" She asks.

"This is just, not my thing, I'm sorry," I answer.

"You're right, that's why I have never done it," Cora replies.

"What?" I ask.

"Look, one day Thalia asked me if I was busy and we went here to hang out. She told me her cousin had told her how to steal properly or whatever. Every time she asks me what I got, I either say I can't find anything or someone kept watching me," Cora explains. 

"Oh, wow, so what do we do?" I question as I begin to grab my buzzing phone from my pocket. 

"Let's go back and pretend like everything is normal, okay? Just no matter what, don't steal. It's the dumbest thing ever, especially when you have money," Cora answers, and I nod my head. I pull out to see that Thalia is calling me.

"Hey! Where are you guys?" Thalia asks.

"We just went to the bathroom, why?" I question. 

"Because this employee won't leave me alone and I need back up! Just come in the store, say that your mom is here, and let's get going!" Thalia states, and then hangs up. Cora and I look at each other and groan, then walk back into the store.

"Hey, Tay, my mom's here," Cora says as we walk in.

"Oh, okay, let's go then," Thalia replies, and we all walk out . 

"Did you get anything?" Cora whispers to Thalia.

"Two crop tops and a necklace," Thalia whispers back, and I look away so I can roll my eyes. Could she really get away with this?

We all walk outside to see Thalia's mom is actually here. We all get in the car and head over to Thalia's house to hang out and have a sleepover. The first couple hours we watch two movies and both of them are just Disney princess movies, which would be our go-to on nights we just watched to relax. 

Everything was going good, until Cinderella ended.

"Alright, I'm bored, what do you want to do?" Thalia asked.

"Let's watch Mulan!" I say.

"No, I'm sick of Disney, and I want to let loose from all the stress my math teacher is giving me," Thalia snaps, and I feel very confused. She used to love Disney.

"Let loose how?" Cora questions. I gulp and swallow down my anxiety. I want to pretend that I know it's probably just going to be face masks and foot scrubs, but I know it's not.

"I got a new pack," Thalia whispers, and pulls out a pack of Marlboro.

"Are those cigarettes?" I mumble.

"No dip, Sherlock, want one? I bet you've never smoked," Thalia states.

"No, thanks, I'm good," I reply.

"I'm good too," Cora adds. 

"Fine, whatever," Thalia says. She pulls out a cigarette, puts it in her mouth, and then she pulls out her lighter. I look away, this is disgusting. I head over to Thalia's bathroom and hide in their. I take a couple deep breaths and then look at myself in the mirror. 

"Just pretend everything will be okay, and one day it might be," I whisper to myself, take another deep breath, and walk out of the bathroom.