Chapter 18- Bad Manners

Is he jealous? Is this a joke? What is going on? Kyle and I were just friends, and that is all, but then I also remember what Kyle said about James.

He looked really hungover and he told me something. That he can't wait till you guys are back together so he can string you along again.

I had totally forgotten that Kyle had told me that. Maybe I should have investigated it more before I said yes to homecoming. It's not that I don't trust James, but I trust Kyle.

"It's going to be okay," I say to Tommy and give him a hug.

"I'm fine, I'm fine, I don't need a hug," Tommy snaps and then runs upstairs.

"That poor little guy," James says.

"We need to talk," I state.

"We're talking right now?" He replies and I can hear the sarcasm in his voice.

"I'm serious, grab your sandwich and we'll talk while we eat," I say.

"It's bad manners to talk while you eat," James states.

"Would you please just stop?" I insist.

"Fine," he mutters. We both go grab a plate, put a sandwich on our plate, and sit at the table.

"What was that look for a minute ago and why are you acting weird now?" I demand to know. He stares down at his feet, slowly chewing his food. He gulps it all down, then looks up at me.

"I don't like that Kyle kid," he states, and I feel like I already knew.

"Why?" I ask.

"He was talking to someone who he thought was me, which it wasn't it was Thomas, and Thomas had been talking about his girlfriend who he wish would date him again so he could string along. Before Kyle left, he said how could you do this to Kelsey or something and in that moment I knew he thought it was me," James explains.

"Oh, you could have just told me that without getting mad at me," I mutter, and look down at my feet. I hear him stand up, push in his chair, and walk over to me. He wraps his arms around my shoulders.

"I'm not mad at you, babe," he whispers in my ear. I close my eyes and sigh.

"I promise," he adds after I sigh. I open my eyes up and he kisses my cheek, then he walks back over to his chair, and continues eating.

~~~~~~

After we eat, we go to the living room and turn on the tv. I open up Netflix and start playing Gossip Girl, I can tell he is actually starting to get into the show, well, at least a little bit.

"Chuck is a jerk. Blair is not his, he needs to stop treating her as if she is a dog," James states and I giggle. He glares at me and then starts tickling my sides.

"No! Stop!" I say, laughing uncontrollably.

"That's what you get for laughing at me!" He states and then tickles my neck.

"No! That's my weak spot!" I yell and I try to push him away, but I just end up rolling onto the floor. I keep laughing and it hurts my sides so badly. He rolls onto the floor and begins kissing my cheek.

"You're so cute," he whispers and just keeps kissing my cheek.

"What are you two doing?" Someone asks, I look up to see who it is, and it's my mom.

"Mom?" I say as I stop giggling and stand up. A tear rolls down her cheek, and I run over to her and give her a big hug.

"Don't ever do that to me again!" I yell, as tears stream down my cheeks. I pull away and something shiny catches my eyes. I look down at her hand and see a big ring, and I know it is not the one my dad gave her.

"Let me explain," she whispers.

"Stay here," I look over at James and say, he nods his head, and sits back up on the couch. I walk over with my mom to the kitchen. We sit down at the table and she begins explaining everything.

"That man I cheated on your father with was not just a one time thing. Your father and I had begun arguing a lot at the beginning of your eighth grade year. One night in November, I had gone to a bar while you and Tommy were at your grandparent's house. I met a guy there named Bradley, and we talked all night. No physical contact at all, our hands didn't even touch. We just talked and got to know each other. I gave him my number and each weekend whenever you and Tommy were gone, I would go see him. Bradley knows everything about your father and I. He knows everything about you and Tommy. Around February, I really was in love with this man. In March, I finally told him, and he felt the same. He told me he would wait for me. When your father finally found out about Bradley and I, I knew I could marry Bradley. So, I left and I did. That's why I didn't call, I didn't know what to say. After we got married, we went to the Bahamas, and I just got back yesterday. I stayed at his place last night because I just needed to know what to say to you. I'm so sorry," My mom explains, and my jaw just drops. How can an affair be such a beautiful love story?

"Can you tell me about Bradley?" I ask, and she smiles. I can tell just hearing his name makes her glow up.

"He has a daughter, I believe she goes to Tommy's school but is a year younger than him. Her name is Lindsay. She's very sweet, you'll meet her soon. Bradley is a year older than I am, and I can't tell you how amazing he is. He was recently divorced when I first met him, and his wife is totally out of the picture. I don't really know what to say about him, he just makes me so happy," she answers.

"When can I meet Lindsay and him?" I ask.

"Well, I was hoping next weekend. Bradley and I were going to have a little party. It would be my parents, his parents, his sister, her husband, their kids, Lindsay, you, Tommy, Bradley, and I. You could invite a couple friends if you want to. I know Lindsay is having a couple of hers. Maybe Tommy can bring Penny," Mom states.

"Um, Tommy and Penny kind of broke up," I mutter.

"Oh, well, he doesn't have to bring her then," she replies.

"I'm so glad you're back," I state and then we hug again, and it feels like she never left.