Chapter 6- A Perfect Couple

I was so happy about last night. On Friday, after school, we did the same thing again. This time though, he stopped an episode halfway through.

"What?" I ask. He says nothing, just shuts the laptop, and then sets it on the ground.

"James? What is it?" I ask.

"Call me boyfriend," he replies.

"What?" I question.

"Kelsey, will you officially be mine?" He asks.

"Yes, yes of course," I answer, smiling.

"Lay your head on my chest," he says as he lays down, and I do as he says. We don't say anything as we just lay together, and I quickly fall asleep.

I wake up a few hours later and roll over to look at my clock.

10:05 pm

I roll back over and realize James is gone. I sit up and grab my phone.

James(: - didn't want to wake you but I left around 7, text me when you wake up

I smile and then text him back.

Me- hey

James(:- hey baby did you just wake up?

Me- yeah, sorry I didn't realize I was so tired

James(:- it's okay, how are you?

Me- I miss you, but I'm okay, you?

James- Well no need to miss me

Me- what?

I look up and he's standing in my doorway.

"James? What are you doing here?" I ask.

"It's a long story, but I'm staying the night, in the living room of course, but I'll explain in the morning, okay?" He sort of explains.

"Okay, are you going to bed?" I question.

"Your mom said I just have to be downstairs by 11:30, and so thats when I'll be downstairs," he answers, and I smile. He comes over and sits by me on the bed. For the next hour we just talk, and around 11, I start to get tired again, so I just rest in his arms until I fall asleep.

I wake up at 6 am, and I head downstairs. I usually wouldn't get up this early, but with the ridiculous amount of napping I did yesterday, I couldn't sleep long.

I brewed myself a cup of coffee, then just sat at the table, and read a People magazine.  At 7, my brother comes downstairs.

"Why is there a random stranger sleeping in our living room?" Tommy whispers.

"Thats James, and he's not a random stranger, he's my friend," I reply.

"Oh that guy, the "special" friend," he states as he opens the pantry and grabs a box of Cheerios.

"No, he's just a friend," I snap, and then walk over to the sink to clean my mug.

"Sure, but last time I checked friends don't kiss each other, and friends certainly don't look at each other the way he looks at you," he replies as he grabs a bowl, and then leaves. 

As soon as he leaves, I walk back up to my room and change from my yesterday's clothes to a simple, black and white, striped sweater with black leggings. I brush my teeth, comb my hair, wash my face, and then head back downstairs. James is now sitting at the table in the kitchen, and it looks like he's crying.

"James?" I call his name, but he doesn't look at me.

"What's wrong?" I add as I start walking closer to him.

"Nothing, just my contact won't come out," he lies.

"Stop lying, what is it actually?" I reply.

"My parents are just annoying, I'm just happy that in a few months I won't have to live with them anymore," he states.

"I'm sorry," I reply, and wrap my arms around him.

"No, no, it's okay, I've always had problems with them, and I just needed a little break," he says.

"Okay, are you hungry? I make a perfect grilled cheese," I state.

"Grilled cheese? It's not even 8 am," he says, laughing.

"It's never too early for grilled cheese," I reply, and we both laugh.

~~~~~~

We seem happy together, don't we? Like the perfect couple, right? You probably think I was lying when I said I ended up brokenhearted, but you still don't know what happens in those two weeks before my birthday, and then maybe we won't seem like a perfect couple.

~~~~~

On Monday, I feel the happiest I have ever been. Even though I didn't see James on Sunday, it was good to know that things were fixed between him and his parents, but when I saw him with Natalia, my heart suddenly dropped.

They were walking together towards me, smiling and laughing, and he actually looked happy.

"Hey, Kelsey," he says.

"Hi," I mumble.

"Hey girl! J-boo and I were just talking about how you and I should work together for the Raising Awareness club! I mean, your co-president and I'm secretary so it would work out great! I think this month we should help homeless kids who need shelters, what so you think?" Natalia asks.

My first instinct was to pull her hair out, but then I realized I needed to stay calm.

"Great! Um, James, can I talk to you?" I ask, and then pull him to the side.

"What is it?" He asks.

"J-boo? Really? What's with the nicknames?" I snap.

"Hey, calm down, I have a plan," he states.

"And you didn't bother to tell me this plan before you got me stuck with her?" I growl.

"Look, I need you to be nice to her because otherwise I'm not going to look good for college and if anyone can help me, it's you, I'm already working with some other people, so please, just for this month work with her, you just have to go collect money with her this weekend, count the money with her next Tuesday, and then the Tuesday after that, you have to present what you guys raised and what it's for, okay?" He explains.

"Fine, but only because I care about you," I reply, and he smiles at me.

"Thank you so much, I promise it won't be that bad," he says, and then walks away.

Somehow, I manage to stay calm, even though my gut says that this is not going to end well.