Chapter 17- Where I Belong

Nothing else really happened that night. Thalia smoked one cigarette but that's all she did. Everyone got tired around 11, and they both fell asleep quickly. I felt nervous to fall asleep so I waited till midnight and then I felt better.

In the morning, my dad picked me up around 10. He didn't really know much about the drama that had been doing on with Thalia and Cora, so it wasn't weird to him that I was there. When I got home, I was just going to go take a nap. I hadn't slept that well last night.

"Kels, come to my room, it's urgent," Tommy states, so I run upstairs to his room.

"What do you ne- what are you doing here?" I growl as I see James.

"Good morning to you too," he replies.

"Can you guys go to her room so you can have some privacy?" Tommy asks.

"Sure, come on," I snap, and James follows me. I have him walk in first, then I slam the door shut.

"What are you doing here? I told you, I need time and space, this is not time, or space! It was only a week ago that I told you to leave me alone, so please, leave me alone!" I yell. For a moment, he just stands there, then he takes a step closer, then another step, and another. I am about to say something, when he grabs my face and kisses me. At first, I was trying to pull away, but then it felt sweet. I knew how badly I wanted to be with him, and how badly he wants to be with me, but I just don't know if right now is a good time.

Eventually, I was running out of breath, so I had to pull away.

"I came to say, I know you want time and space, but Homecoming is two weeks away, and I wanted to know if you wanted to go with me," He explains, he pulls his hands away from my face, and wraps his arms around my waist.

"Well, you're going to have to do better than that for me to even consider saying yes," I state, pulling away, and crossing my arms. A second later, he pulls off his black and dark blue Nike sweatshirt, revealing a white shirt saying

Homecoming?

Kiss for yes, slap for no

Now look, I know what you're thinking. This is so dumb, and I should never ever say yes, but then the door opens behind me. I turn around to see  Tommy holding a long Macy's bag. He walks in and hands it to me, then walks out.

"Can I open it?" I ask, staring at it.

"Yes, please do," James answers, and I open it up. Inside is a strapless, silver, homecoming dress with gemstones lining the sweetheart cut. A couple weeks ago, James and I went to the mall and I saw this dress and told him how bad I wanted it, I even tried it on. He said one day my fairy godmother would come give it to me, and now she did.

"How did you remember this?" I mumble as I look up from the dress and at him. He has a big smile on his face.

"So is it a kiss or slap?" He asks, then I gently set the dress down on my bed, and kiss him.

"I was hoping you'd do that," he states after I pull away. I move the dress and hang it up, then I lay with James on my bed. I put my head on his chest and wrap my arms around him.

"All I wanted was for you to be in my arms again," he whispers and I kiss his cheek. He grabs my hand and I close my eyes. This is where I belong.

~~~~~~~~~~~

A couple hours later, I wake up, still in James' arms. He is asleep and I smile at him. He looks so cute and peaceful, I don't want to disturb that, so I just stay in his arms, and I end up falling asleep again. 

An hour later, I wake up again and this time, James is waking up too.

"Hi babe," I whisper, as I look up at his face.

"Hey sweetie," he replies in a soft voice. 

"Are you hungry? I could make some grilled cheese," I ask as I slowly sit up and rub my eyes.

"Sure, but don't leave, I want five more minutes," James answers.

"Okay," I giggle. 

Fifteen minutes later, I finally get up. James follows me downstairs and I start making us dinner. It's almost four o'clock, and I'm pretty sure my brother is wondering what we were doing.

"Kelsey?" My dad says as he walks down the stairs.

"Yes, dad?" I reply as I flip the sandwiches.

"Who is that boy sitting at our kitchen table?" He whispers as he walks over to me.

"Oh, that's James. He's a good friend," I reply.

"Good friend or boyfriend?" He asks.

"Um, I don't really know right now, it's complicated," I answer.

"Well, no matter what keep the door open and be safe, I love you," my dad replies, kisses my forehead, and then walks back upstairs.

"Do I need to leave?" James asks as he stands up and walks over to me.

"No, it's all good," I reply, and smile at him. He wraps his arms around my waist and kisses my cheek. Tommy walks in the front door with tears running down his cheeks.

"Hey dude, what's wrong?" James asks. He pulls his arms away from me and walks over to Tommy, who is now sitting on the rug by the front door.

"Penny broke up with me," he answers, and begins sobbing.

"Why?" I ask. I quickly turn off the stove and walk over to James and Tommy. 

"She said that she was moving on, and when I asked since when, she started crying. Then, she told me she and this guy, Paul, had been flirting a little, and then Paul asked her to pick him or me, and she picked him," Tommy explains as he begins to pull himself together.

"What a brat," James says.

"I'm sorry, heartbreak sucks," I state.

"Yeah, and it really sucks when a girl you really like starts talking to a new guy," James adds. I look over at him to see him already looking at me, once our eyes meet, he quickly looks away.

There's no way he could be talking about Kyle and I, right?