Chapter 35- Who Fights For What They Want

I'm so sick of this. I just want things to be easy. Why does everything have to become so complicated?

I am finally ready to be with James. I am done going back and forth but now it seems too hard. Did I make a mistake? I mean, Kyle makes me happy but as I think about long term I can't see Kyle there. I know I'm only fifteen, but I don't want to date just to get experience or whatever.

James and I hung out for not too much longer and then he went home. I was happy he left because I feel like I need a lot of time to think and I need to be alone in order to do that.

I start up the bathtub and put on a face mask. After it heats up and fills up about three fourths of the way, I turn it off and get in. I put in a galaxy bath bomb and relax. I end up falling asleep and when I wake up the water is almost freezing. I get out of the bathtub, freezing to death, and wrap a towel around me. I dry off, then walk to my room to grab some warm clothes. Once I'm dressed, I head downstairs.

"Is she going to be long? I really need to get going, Bradley still can't get out of bed," I hear a woman say and she sounds exactly like my mom. Wait, what if it's her?

"Mom?" I say and she turns around. She looks like a mess. Her hair is tangled and frizzy, her face looks wrinkly, and I can tell she hasn't showered in awhile.

"Kelsey, I've missed you," My mom says and hugs me. I see my brother sitting down at the table and he looks like he's been crying.

"What happened?" I ask.

"Lindsay died," she answers, in a very soft voice.

"How?" I question.

"It was a car crash, that's why I hung up on you that one day. The hospital was calling me," she answers and tears fill her eyes.

"I'm so sorry," I reply and hug my mom.

"I'm sorry I haven't talked to you guys in awhile, just when she died Bradley and I were so upset and we had to plan the funeral and everything," my mom explains, she pulls away, and wipes her eyes.

"It's okay," I state.

"Anyways, I have to get going. I just wanted to stop by and let you know what is going on," My mom replies, kisses my forehead, waves goodbye to Tommy, and leaves.

"That's so sad," I say as I walk over and sit by Tommy.

"I know right, like I wanted her to disappear sometimes but I never wanted her dead," he replies.

~~~~~

We talked for not much longer and then I decided to head up to bed. It's getting late and I'm tired.

When I wake up, I check my phone to see James sent me a long good morning text, and by long, I mean so long that I didn't even read it all. I made myself breakfast and went to work on homework but then I realize it's Spring Break. So, I call Cora and invite her over.

~~~~~~

"You saw your mom? How is she?" Cora asks.

"Um, okay, I mean, her step daughter just died," I answer and Cora looks shocked.

"Wow, that really sucks," she mumbles.

"So how's James?" She asks and smirks at me. I blush and look away.

"He's okay, I guess," I reply.

"You guys will work it out, I know you will," she states and smiles.

"It's just hard because of the age difference and he's graduating in a month or so," I mutter.

"Kels, fight for him. I remember when you were trying to get him to grow up and date you and I want you to see yourself as that person again. The person who fights for what they want," Cora states and a tear rolls down my cheek.

"What if I'm not that person anymore?" I ask and wipe the tear away.

"You are, you just have to find it in yourself to want it enough," Cora answers and she hugs me. I wrap my arms around her and begin to sob.

~~~~~~

Cora leaves after dinner that night. She wants to go to bed early since she has a lunch date with her new boyfriend and doesn't want to wake up at noon like normal. All I know about him is his name is Todd, he's a sophomore, and loves everything green.

Once she leaves, I head to the living room to watch Supernatural. Around ten, I get really tired and head upstairs to bed.

When I wake up in the morning, I roll out of bed and see a post it note on my door.

Head to the bathroom for the next clue

This is one of the most creepiest but coolest things ever. Maybe it wouldn't be so creepy if I knew who it was from. I mean, I'd assume James but last time I thought it was him it wasn't.

I head over to the bathroom and see a note on the mirror.

Head to the kitchen and open the cabinet where your favorite type of chips are

I run downstairs and head to the kitchen. I open the cabinet that has barbecue chips in it and I see a post it note on it.

This next place is where I always park my car

James always parked in front of the mailbox in the street. I throw on some flip flops and run outside. His car is there and in front of it there stands James. He has a bouquet of white roses. I walk up to him and before I can say anything he says something.

"I'll love you till the red rose dies," he hands me the bouquet and I notice the one rose is red and looks fake. I pull it out and realize it's plastic.

"What is this for?" I ask.

"Go get dressed quickly. We're going to brunch," he states and I run inside. I fill up a vase with water and put the flowers in it. Then, I quickly change and run back outside.

"Let's go," James says and opens the passenger door for me. I get in and he closes the door then walks around to the other side.

What is the point of all of this? Why is he being so cute?