The Verse: Prologue

PROLOGUE

I stare at the boy on the stage shredding his guitar's fretboard with his lightning-fast fingers and banging his head to the beat of the drums. I feel a pang of envy the moment he smiles at the crowd right after he finishes his self-composed guitar solo. He's steps ahead of me, in fact, he's already way too far for me to reach. With a little more push of hard work and perseverance, I'm sure he'll be an international rockstar someday whereas I, a lonely and lost girl, would never be able to even just form my ideal band. 

"Are we all having fun tonight?!" The walls of the auditorium echoes the husky timbre of his voice. If there is something else that makes me feel so drawn to him, it would be how he utters his band's lyrics to the microphone.

The crowd asks them to play a love song and they do. After the mellow strumming of the acoustic guitar heralding the verse, Trevor, being as unusually hyper as he is, says to the microphone, "I'm dedicating this song to Jane Quinn!"

Jane.

Her name is a curse. The thought of her is tormenting. Her existence should be forgotten. She is a reminder of who I am not supposed to be, but I am...

I am that bitch who he wishes good night before he falls to sleep, who he talks to when there's no one to listen to him, who he asks for opinion when he decides to get a haircut, who he tells his lame jokes to and who he texts for no reason at all.

Trevor, please don't be blind. I am your Jane.