Ch 13: Battle Of The Bands, Initial Phase

TREVOR~

That familiar slim figure and blonde hair will always have me facing its way anytime, anywhere. My instincts when it told me that it's Kailey heading my way didn't wrong me. Her hair still fashioned in a way that's covering half of her face, but didn't entirely conceal her blissful expression. She seems to be in high spirits today. I'm not surprised that she managed to slip in here, when she could break her way into the headquarters by just the mention of Terra's name. 

“Volchitsa!” somebody calls from behind her. Now where have I heard that nickname before?

"Volchitsa, wait up!" Kailey's smile vanishes. Her eyebrows meet, the glint in her eyes are replaced with fury. She turns to her back, and when she does, she almost crashes onto Oliver's chest.

"What's it this time, Oli?!" She grabs a fistful of hair and stomps a foot in annoyance. 

Oliver lurches towards her and grabs her by the elbow. "The competition’s about to start. Wish me good luck.”

“You have Brix to wish you good luck. How many girls do you need to get motivated, huh? Go away!” 

I'd love to stay and listen, just to get hints if there's really something between them. By the looks of it, Oliver enjoys messing with her, like a lot. All Kailey ever does is to sneer, to make faces and to mock him. Maybe the rumors will just remain as rumors.

I shouldn't be making a big deal out of their friendship, and I don't certainly want to play the role of the overprotective friend. I have other things to think about, and that involves my aching fingers and Jake, who's didn't receive the news about my hand being stomped on by a fat bully lightly. Jake and I aren't on good terms, damn, we rarely are. He hasn't forgiven me but what the hell, it's not like I'm begging for his forgiveness and pity.

He isn't that way when we first jammed out for practice. I guess people are just good-natured during first encounters, and they gradually show their true colors when they've won your friendship. The thought of him being my bandmate infuriates me. The thought of his name signed up next to mine, written in the same group, boils my blood. The first thing I'm gonna do when we get into CJA is to appeal for a change in band membership. Thank heavens for the club's considerations.

“You flirty asshole, let me go!”

The stereos and screeching noises from the microphones overpower the racket the two of them are causing, but I could still understand what they're arguing about. I'm just a few meters away, but that changes when Xavier pulls me away from them.

"Trevor," he says. "How on Earth are we going to pull it off when Jake and you..."

"The drummer's seat is far from the guitarist's position," I say stiffly. "Plus, we aren't going to perform forever."

"CJA doesn't like it when band members aren't in good terms with each other! And just when you thought that the band's acting skills are elite enough so that they wouldn't suspect a thing, they just... magically find out! It's like they got a nose for it!"

"Doesn't matter," I cut him off exasperatedly. "Showing off skills onstage is of prime importance for tonight."

"Ugh, you fool! Just make sure--"

A chorus of gasps interrupts Xavier this time. All eyes seem to be looking at Oliver and Kailey, and when I squit my eyes to get a better view, I see the guy with his hands behind her ears, forcing her to look at her in the eye. The female participants are more shocked than I am. I could hear them repeatedly cursing Kailey under vile whispers.