Ch 27: Irony

TREVOR~

I’m not sure about what to feel at this point. I knew it, she was going to make me pay, and the odds indeed have favored her. Now I’ve sauntered my way home alone with nothing, absolutely nothing but bitterness enveloping me in my every thought.

Soon she’ll be a member of CJA. She wouldn’t even have to worry about the screening; the show last night already proved that she is worthy to get in. Why would the heavens refuse to give me, someone very determined and eager to get there, a spot while she, someone who kept on mocking the club, got in as easy as first try? Frustrating. Insane.

Maybe I’ll succeed with my third try. But I feel so down in the humps right just by thinking about it. It’s as if the great pain and frustration keeps on shattering my being and my sanity. I drag myself to bed without changing my clothes or brushing my teeth, I didn’t even touch the food that my family left for me for dinner. I am too tired to talk to them, both physically and emotionally. Hours spent staring at the mundane ceiling drift away like carefree clouds. The next thing I know, sunlight is already breaching through my window, and I awake to the sound of the chirping birds. 

                                                  ******

Mom is kind enough to stay with me the whole morning ‘til noon when dad and Travis were out working. She heard me out—all my disappointments and all my quarrels, obnoxious bandmates and douchebag rivals, but I completely left behind things related to Kailey. In the long run, I decide that it’s best for me if I spend some time alone outside and take a breather, like how I did after my first competition night. Kailey ran into me that particular day, yet I don’t think we’ll be crossing paths today. She’ll be busy with her band preparing for the individual screening which is tomorrow.

I realize how beautiful this day is to be drowning myself in self-pity. Though it had been unusually raining lately, this afternoon’s weather is very typical for a walk. To stay out of stress for once. To enjoy some solitude.

I don’t think I’ll be strolling under the city’s skyscrapers today. My feet take me around the suburbs where there are less people. As I’m cautiously plodding over the grass, the sound of footsteps trampling over dry crunchy leaves alarms me and I quickly turn around. There’s somebody else here with me.

“Uhm, hi,” he says shyly. He wears eyeglasses and a flannel, chin slightly tucked as if he’s shy to be here, is significantly thinner and neatly combed hair. But somehow his voice, though he uttered those words bashfully, is deep and could be authoritative if he chooses to speak in that manner.

I raise an eyebrow at him warily, darting a quick glance at his hands and pockets to see if he’s concealing something that could endanger my life. I don’t find any, and from the looks of it he doesn’t seem like one who could harm. “May I help you?”

“I saw you play last night,” he replies. I roll my eyes.

“Yeah, thanks,” I answer nonchalantly. I don’t think he realizes that the wound is still fresh. I turn to walk away.

“Hey, wait!”

“What?”

“I play the bass.”

“Really?” I reply in a fit of surprise. Frowning, I scrutinize him from head to toe. This kid, seriously plays music? “Of course you do,” I remark sarcastically.

“Yes, I do!”

“Look, honestly speaking you don’t look like musically inclined at first sight. Do you have any musician acquaintances or whatsoever?”