Ch 26: Intensity

A/N: Holla guys! Sorry for the delay! Thank you for being patient with me huhuhu <3

KAILEY~

It’s a withdrawing feeling I couldn’t explain. All those flashing lights of several neon colors, the manic roar of the crowd, the blazing deafness after being exposed before a semi-ring of amplifiers, the sweaty hugs and friendly punches from my bandmates after the performance, just made me feel dizzy all of a sudden. The past ten minutes left me numb and tired that I had to sit down and stare at an infinite darkness, contemplating as I tell myself: “Dammit. That. Felt. Good.”

Seriously. Though I’ve been in a band performance before, being the lead singer is a lot different from being the drummer. As a drummer you only get to be really noisy behind yet no one really notices you, while as a singer you could jump around the stage, join the crowd, and impress the judges with a sway of the hips matching the tangy tune of the guitar riff. But do you know what one thing I couldn’t forget? It’s that priceless look on Trevor’s face.

Suits the guy well. I hope he fumbles his guitar out of fright later.

Terra has made it clear that I should meet her right after Flame Alyconia has performed. I got up from my seat, cut my way through the jungle of bouncers and other performers, ignoring people calling out my name just to congratulate me. I don’t need their congratulations. I just want to beat Trevor’s dreams to be crushed tonight.

Terra’s baby face and impressive slim figure—even for a pregnant woman—is fairly easy to spot. But it’s actually her tainted royal blue and purple highlights that had me recognize her from this distance. I instantly dash towards my beloved friend and mentor, only to confirm to myself that it is Chris she’s with, that guy with no backbone, that guy who’s just as stupid as Trevor. They’re at it again—hands on places where it should not be.

All of a sudden a cold feeling pours over me that I had to stop running. Pivoting on the heels of Terra’s buckled boots, I turn behind me then to my left. It isn’t until I flash another glance behind me I caught sight of Trevor, tugging Hannah’s arm and seemingly in a rush to get to Chris and Terra.

And then it hit me. I let out a loud curse and run towards him, in attempt to block the view of Terra and Chris before it’s too late. I keep on dashing forward TJ like a bull that has seen red.

The impact is too much his chest must’ve just bruised my nose. He loses balance but he doesn’t necessarily fall to the floor.

“Kailey?” he shrieks. I watch him as he makes a face full of horror.

Suddenly, a string of curses want to come out from my mouth again, and it takes my all just to suppress them. “Idiot,” I murmur, seething under the surface. “Idiot. What the hell are you doing?!”

He knows exactly what I’m talking about. He peeks at Hannah through the corner of his eyes and then at the couple behind me without a slightest tilt of the head. He crunches his forehead in question. “The fuck?!”

Hannah’s just standing there, frightened, her hands covering her mouth. Thank goodness she still hasn’t seen Chris through the growing vastness of people behind me. “Hannah,” I say rather rudely. “See that RV over there?” I point to one of the vans parked in between the school and the headquarters. “Chris is there inside. Now excuse us but I really need to talk to this guy.” Without waiting for Hannah’s reply I quickly jerk Trevor’s arm and move away from Hannah, though I refuse to lose sight of her until I’m convinced that she did go the parking lot.

“What the goddamn hell are you doing?!” I say, gritting my teeth.

“What the goddamn hell are you doing?!” he echoes in a more incensed tone.