Ch 11: Listen To The Sound Of Your Enemies Singing

dedicated to @MyChemicalRachel because she loves My Chemical Romance as much as I do! <3

TREVOR~

I did expect the next days after that argument in the studio to be more comfortable now that I don’t have Kailey tailing behind me every now and then. Expectations failed me this time, because rather than being at ease, I feel queasy. I’d run into Kailey in the halls, the gates, even on the street leading home, only to be treated like I’ve committed murder or a serious case against the law. She didn’t have to look away deliberately. She didn’t have to be so obvious.

It had been like that for days, and the days have turned into weeks. There had been no communication, only awkward eye contacts.

It’s morning once more; another school day dawns bright for us. As I take my leave for school, I bump into Lyric standing at my doorstep, eyeing me closely, with Xavier beside her. I shoot Xavier a quick, questioning glance, which he replies with a frown.

“Trevor, tomorrow night’s the big big day!”

Lyric’s enthusiasm isn’t as contagious as it should be. At least, its effect doesn’t work on me.

“Lyric. Thanks for reminding me about the event that kept me exhausted these past few days. And the event that’s responsible for my aching fingertips.” I brush my fingertips against my other hand’s knuckles, checking if it’s numb and calloused enough for a killer guitar shred we’ve prepared for tomorrow.

“Now, you don’t greet a girl in the morning that way,” she says and pulls me by the hand. “I woke up early this morning so I decided to pass by your house and Xave’s house then go to school together.”

Ugh, spell C-L-I-N-G-Y.

Releasing a sigh I’ve been suppressing, I shut the door behind me and walk behind Lyric and opposite Xavier. I’m waiting for my fellow guitarist to speak, but he chooses to remain silent as we trod.

As we walk, from the corner of my eye I see a familiar blonde walking just across the street. She’s got her backpack on, sported in her usual long sleeved outfit and munching on a piece of bread. I don’t know if she’s noticed me yet. What I’m certain of is that I couldn't stop glancing her way every now and then, wondering if she's dong the same thing.

Just when I'm about to take another furtive glance, a baritone booms from behind us. “Volchitsa!” Lyric twists instantly, hands clasped together and grinning only to expose her perfect set of pearly whites. Of course, she knows from the very first letter pronounced whose voice that belongs to. I too turn my back reflexively, only to spot Lyric’s long-time crush, with his eyes fixed on the other side of the road.

“Dammit! You just ruined my morning, ugly!” Kailey screams and hastens her walking speed.

“Ugly?” Enraged, Lyric’s porcelain-white face turns tomato red. “Did she-wolf just call Oliver ugly?!”

I only shrug my shoulders and Xavier does the same.

Oliver crosses the road to catch up to Kailey. “Wait up, Volchitsa!”

“Stalker! Go away!”

“But I need you for something!”

“Go away! You could infect me with your ugliness!”

But, Oliver’s got those long legs so it isn’t a struggle to close the gap between him and the girl running away from him. With each step that draws him near to Kailey, Lyric’s fist clench tighter and tighter, and Xavier and I could only laugh at the scene. Lyric lets out a loud grunt when Oliver is finally able to reach for Kailey’s arm, tugging her backwards so that she’d fall to his chest.