Ch 16: Danger Games and Dark Discoveries

KAILEY~

“It wasn’t much of a date, really,” I tell my best friend who is on the other line. “I found him in that shop, then we spent the whole afternoon together. It was more like, uhm, hanging out after such a stressful, depressing night.”

“Really, Kaileypoop. By the way you narrated every detail that happened last Saturday, I could say that you, my friend, is totally under his spell.”

I pause to let what she said sink in. Brynn knows me so well, she’ll recognize a lie from me at the very instant. There's just no use denying but I wouldn't want to admit just yet.

“You said he’s a cute guy eh? And plays the guitar? Man, he sounds so hot!”

“Don’t forget the fluff of hair I’m dying to muddle myself, Brynn.” With my phone still against my ear, I glance out of my bedroom’s window when I hear a group of voices, all masculine, outside. “Oh my god.”

“What? What happened, Kaileypoop? Why the sudden gasp?”

“N-nothing,” I mumble, noticing her worried tone. “Speaking of the devil, I just saw him outside my window, and he’s with friends.”

Trevor’s with a group of other guys, which I think is of the same age as he is, though I highly doubt they’re from Castleburn High. What made me really gasp at the sight is that Trevor’s riding a skateboard, no, not just riding, he’s actually doing something cool with it! Right now he’s on the side of the street. His group gathers at the other side. Filling his lungs as much as he could—I actually saw his chest expand and his stomach contract—he pushes himself and the board with a powerful foot. While dashing through the middle of the street, he jumps very high—oh my god—leaving his board spinning underneath him—shit oh shit—and he spins in the air too—oh my effin’ god—then  in a blink of a second, with one foot he repositions the board before landing on it safely. “How does he do that?!”

“What? Do what? Kailey, I’m still on the line.”

“Cute guitarist skater in front of my apartment!” I squeal, no longer able to contain whatever is this I’m feeling right now.

“Wait, did you just say that he skates?!”

This time, his friends line up in the middle of the streets, on their knees and their palms on the ground, head bowing down really low. There are four of them there, while three remain standing including Trevor.

All three are holding each of their skateboards. One of them positions himself far away, then launches himself full-speed towards the kneeling ones. I hold my breath, worried that the boy might hurt the ones on the ground with just wrong move. As he gets closer he bends his legs then jumps, bringing the board airbourne with him. It’s a long jump. I can’t believe he actually did it, though I saw that the boy farthest from the launching point got hit on the head with an elbow.

The next guy follows, following the same technique as the guy before him. When it’s Trevor’s turn again, I can’t help but bite my lower lip in anticipation. He’s gonna show how cool he is once more.

“Kaileypoop?”

“Hush, Bryinniepoop!” I hear a loud sigh over the line, and I bet she’s just rolled her eyes at me.

When Trevor finds his place, far more distant that the first two’s initial points, he drags his skateboard at first, then suddenly picks up speed by the time he’s got both feet mounted on the board. He spreads his arms apart like a bird and bends his knees. I bite the inside of my cheeks to prevent myself from suddenly cheering. Unlike the others, his jump is higher, the amplitude almost doubled. Additionally, unlike the first two who just mundanely jumped, Trevor exceeds expectations. He vaults, his head nearer to the ground than his body while in air—shit, I hope he doesn’t hurt himself—then clipping the board with his feet—oh dear Jesus—he manoeuvers it under his feet just in time before he lands on the ground.