Ch 20: Band Practice For Attempt Number Two

KAILEY~

Emerald-eyes is pacing back and forth, clearly irritated by the news that just got in about the changes in the band’s schedule. DAB will be departing in days, moreover, she won’t be present in the competition day itself. I am annoyed too, but I think it’s best to keep my comments to myself rather than to add to the already uptight atmosphere.

“You don’t even have your band yet, little missy. I’m starting to get really bothered. I didn’t approve of the competition for nothing!”

I look down to the floor in shame. I realize that what I did is partly wrong. I took advantage of Terra, knowing that she really wants me to be a part of the club.

“What are your plans? Aside from trying out for my nephew’s band, have you tried other bands? Formed a group of your own, at least?”

I shake my head. “I-I’m... heavily hoping that Oliver would accept me as their drummer. I don’t have many friends. I don’t even know other musically-inclined people except for Trevor and Xavier.”

Terra narrows her eyes at me at the mention of Trevor’s name. Hell, I knew I shouldn’t have mentioned about him, when she has set conditions to me in the first place. Putting the thought on Trevor aside, she asks, “What if Oliver doesn’t accept you?”

That’s exactly what I’m praying not to happen. That will ruin my friendship with Terra, and she’ll be very upset. To add to that, I don’t know how I’ll be able to face Oliver after he rejects me.

“How long have you been waiting for Oliver’s confirmation?”

“Two days.”

“Two fuckin’ days!”

I grab the hem of my shirt and wring it, nervous of the possibility that Oliver and his other two bandmates aren’t satisfied with my performance, and that they have already chosen somebody else. Terra blows a hair away from her face and leans back on the couch we’re on. We’re still in Oliver’s house, and Oliver telling me that I’m welcome at his home anytime makes me think that it’s impossible for him to reject me as his band’s member. Plus, I’m close to his aunt. And, he called and I came when Terra was on the verge of giving up on life.

“I’ll join the competition, whatever it takes. Don’t be mad at me, Terra. I’ll think of a way.”

But I honestly don’t know what to do. Clock’s ticking, and it’s eleven days before the competition day itself.

Terra watches the next few sets of commercials on the television. I feel down in the humps, and very very awkward beside her. I entertain myself with other things like playing with my tongue, watching the spider weave on one corner of the TV rack, and even gnawing on my fingernails. Every effort is futile. Terra’s intimidating aura—even if she isn’t being scary at the moment—plus the guilty feeling is one killer combo my conscience couldn’t take.

I desperately want Terra to talk to me without this barrier of guilt and disappointment. While watching a commercial, a certain guy endorsing a new brand of wine pops up in the screen. Realizing that he looks like someone I know, I state between chuckles: “That guy awfully looks a lot like Chris.”

I’ve done it, I broke the silence! Putting up a humorous face, I glance to my left to see if Terra has something to say. Terra’s fiery eyes meet mine, and the goofy grin I wear vanishes. I shrink back to my place, terrified like never before.

“Unforgivable,” she scoffs, biting her lower lip as creases of her frown ruin her flawless face. “Are you blind? Chris is much better looking than that creep!”