Ch 30: Chaos

KAILEY~

“What on Earth did you just do!?”

I am fuming, my cheeks burning red as my eyes jump off from one text reply to the next. I try real hard not to crush Brynn’s phone in my hand, but I’m shaking whilst trying to control myself.

“Hell, what time did you go to sleep last night? Past twelve?” The last message is a good night text from Trevor, and I note that Brynn received it 12:44 AM.

“He just wouldn’t stop,” Brynn replies flatly, massaging the dark circles in her eyes. I glower at her for the tone in her voice that sounded like it’s not a big deal. “Hey, you can’t blame me. Whenever I’d stop replying he’d flood my inbox with texts that always include a sad smiley until I text back. If I still don’t he’d call, and you don’t want him to call again, don’t you?” She narrows her eyes, letting me know that she’s giving me a warning.

 “No, I don’t.” I sigh. Better a thousand of texts than a single call that shook my insides with utmost panic. In that span of five minutes I remember nothing but cold sweat and heart racing, in great fear that a slip of a tongue would give everything away. I wouldn’t allow Trevor to know that I play a part in this deceit. If he learns about Brynn, it would still be my end since I’m Brynn’s only friend around as long as she stays in Castleburn. How would ‘Jane’ know about Trevor’s number? Of course, through me.

“So, has he mentioned anything about me?” I ask, trying to hide the jealousy in my voice.

His time Brynn yawns. “No, he talked mostly about bands and music. And he did mention that he’s got a new band.”

“New band?”

“You don’t know?” She gives ma a sad look that just annoys me. “Thought you’ve been back-reading?”

I refuse to reply. In my mind I could only think of how long his conversation is, and how Trevor and I never talked like this. But Trevor gives Brynn, err Jane, almost his whole time in just texting her. As I read more of their getting-to-know texts—I admit Brynn’s quite good at shaping a personality for Jane—her girly ringtone plays.

“Trevor again,” she snorts. I give her another look. “Believe m, Kaileypoop, people rarely text ol’ Brynnie. Except for that guy. He’s clingy to Jane I tell you.”

“What was your intention, really?” I say, feeling sorry for the gullible idiot who fell for it easily. “Why did you get his phone number and text him, pretend to be somebody else?”

“I thought we could make him angry, annoyed, pestered, something like that, but it doesn’t seem to be effective. At least this whole Jane thingy is giving him a mental torture.”

“You’re just not good at playing the role of a bitch.”

Brynn rolls her eyes. “It’s just not easy to do in texts. It’s as if you don’t know what I’m capable of doing, Kailey.” She stands up and grabs another bag of chips on the table. “So, what did stupid text this time?” she asks while opening the bag, tossing the original subject aside.

I grunt, since reading the text would be a bother. I’ve scrolled this far up to read when I’ll need to scroll back down there again.

Trevor: Good morning Jane :)

“Just a good morning with a smiley,” I say.

“Don’t reply. He’ll send a follow-up text,” Brynn replies, flashing me a knowing grin.

And so I do. I toss and turn the phone in my hand, still pissed at Brynn for some strange reason. It doesn’t take long before Brynn’s phone rings again. At the very second it rang, Brynn gives me an I-told-ya-so look.