Ch 17: The Farewell Gift of Sweet Mental Torture

I know it's a little late, but congratulations to @demonicblackcat for winning in the Watty's! :)

TREVOR~

It would be a painful lie to say that I’m feeling okay now. I thought I was, but whenever I pass by CJA’s headquarters to school because I had no other route to take, I feel like trampling on burning coal. It burns as I near it, and the pain would still linger as I walk away, aggravated by the nagging voices in my head saying that I’m not worthy. But, undeniably, I was growing numb. The agony is addicting. No matter how much grief the headquarters would remind me of when I lay my eyes on it, I would always look at it when I get my chances.

Here I am again, staring at the picturesque building visioning myself as a member of an international alliance of musicians.  I’ve been unconsciously staring at it for so long and I’ve only realized it when Oliver crosses my path. I don’t usually see him around thirty minutes after last class’ dismissal. Shifting, I let out a sigh. Thirty minutes of daydreaming might be a little too much.

There is a funny expression on his face when I see him. He’s not happy, that’s for certain. What I find amusing is his face crunched up and his forehead’s creases appearing—typically not Oliver’s nature. He’s on his way to one side of the building, approaching faces vague in my memory. After staring for so long, I recall that I’ve seen them in the competition too, and that they’re the ones with Oliver. One of his bandmates, one with dual hair color, bleached blond messy sidepart and black for the rest of the hair, share the same heated expression as he does. The other one though, the bassist if I remember correctly, appears to be chill and indifferent.

It’s not our fault if Bryce decides to leave!”

Oliver lets out half a hiss and half a loud sigh.  “He took our drummer with him! We are working well with Kieran, but you dopes were too uncaring to not notice that he's being brainwashed by our lead singer!”

Ah, the case of jackass band members. Nothing's new. Disbanding? That's not surprising to me either. Ever wondered why there are a lot of bands formed out there but only lasts for a few years or so?

"And he had to say bad things about Flame Apocalypse, really? Why couldn't he just move on? All of us were devastated with the competition, alright?"

"Goddammit guys, be quiet already!" the chill one finally breaks out of his silence.

And I thought I am the only one who's taking this harder than one should be. Who knows that CJA's competition would actually cause such emotional turmoil and tension among bands and band members?

I see the front doors of the headquarters swing open. I immediately spot Chris with two other men talking to each other. Not long after, the two guys and Chris part ways, Chris leaning by the street lights while the other two head towards the city. He squeezes in a cigarette between his lips, and as he ignites a lighter, he searches the place warily, like he had the feeling of being watched. He sees Oliver’s group first but chooses to ignore it. His gaze falls on me and he gives me a wave.

His wave, together with his smirk, are so inviting that I let my feet take me to him. Still, the argument between Oliver’s group is growing to me more intense that I couldn’t help but watch and eavesdrop. As I stride closer to Chris, their raging voices only becomes more audible for me.

“Whoa there,” Chris says before I could’ve bumped into him. I didn’t know that I’m not looking my way anymore. “Trevor, right?” he asks as he let rings of smoke puff out of his mouth and curl up in the air.

“Yeah, I’m Trevor.”

"What brings you here?" he says casually, but he is furrowing his brows.