Ch 6.2: Kailey And Terra, Duo Of The Century

dedicated to @ConstantSound, a very good friend of mine and a great writer! She sure loves to write a lot! Check her books/series out! :)

KAILEY~

It’s the kind of smile that says, 'I know something that you don’t; you made the right choice to stay here' or, 'you’re in for a conversation you won’t forget.' Whatever it is, her look hooks me with curiosity.

Face to face with emerald-eyes, I remain motionless, waiting for her to tell me what’s been going on inside that mind of hers.

“So, why is it that you asked me to stay?” I manage to talk first. The silence is killing me.

She winks. “Try staying with me for the whole day?”

“What for?”

“Oh you know, just to chill out, whatever.”

Oh, so the lady asked me to stay just so she could hang out? I’d say no, but honestly, I don’t feel like attending school today, not when the pain from yesterday still restrain me from certain movements. “Fine with me.”

“Ha! Man, you’re being too easy! Do you hate school so much?”

“No, not really.”

“Why then?”

The stinging pain of my scratches reminds me of my actions yesterday. I remember the three pigs, the blood, and how Trevor looked at me after all of that. Additionally, I have this gauze on my head which I wear like a crown. It just draws too much attention from the people. It feels like I wear it to tell people that it’s me, the metal-swinging girl from yesterday.

“People might make fun of my forehead patch.”

Terra’s face sinks into a frown. She rolls her eyes. “Ugh, that sounded too pathetic y’know. Just when you showed the rough, intrepid side of you, you’d curl up in a ball and go, ‘oh shit, people will make fun of me so I’ll just go hide inside the HQ of CJA.’”

I turn pale at such a statement. It’s the truth so genuinely stated that it made me believe that I really am pathetic.

“Who are you, really?” she adds before I could even react, still not erasing the sickened look on her face.  “A badass? Brave soul? The one that shouts, ‘Don’t fuck with me! You better back off or I’ll hit you with a metal pipe and laugh at your pain!’”

She gets up from her seat again and approaches my side. I am, however, too frozen by her words. “Or...”

She touches one of my cheeks and draws her head close to my ear.  She whispers, “The lost soul. The poor sorry girl who doesn’t know her place in the world. Scared of life, beaten, forgotten, forever haunted by a past?”

I feel my hands turn cold. The proximity of her face and her talking in a lower voice than she usually does adds to the eerie sensation. “Or...”

She breathes against my nape. and I get that feeling like I'm a character in paranormal movies. I got chills all over. “A combination of the two. A lost soul hiding behind a mask of a badass. Struggling, wanting to be someone other than herself?”

If I hadn’t gasped, I would have never known I’ve been holding my breath for so long. My jaws tighten, and I had to pinch my skin to make sure that I’m not dreaming. A woman who I barely knew, just uttered a few sentences that practically described me as an individual.

How could she know all of these? It isn’t even an hour since we’ve known each other. I am at a state of pure shock.

“Guess I just hit the bull’s eye, little missy.”